Which first minelab to buy?

After years of dredging and panning and surfing this forum I finally decided that detecting is the way too go.I have searched a lot of the debates on which PI to buy and am still a little confused on what should be my first detector,should I start with the easy to learn 2100 or jump to a GP series like a 3500 or 4500.My biggest fear is not being able to master an advanced machine or being constantly confused or frustrated.I guess I would be more comfortable if some one would be willing to walk me through a GP series to help start me with settings and such.I live in N ca near sacramento and am wondering if anyone in my area would be willing to meet with and walk through a gp machine,I dont expect to be taken to a secret nugget patch I would just like someone to meet me face to face.I have access to 650 acres near donnieville that I wish to hunt but want to know a little bit of what Im doing.

Hi Creekhunter. I think most people here will tell you to get the latest Minelab you can afford. You can learn to operate any of them. Now that the new 5000 is out there are a bunch of people upgrading and that means more older machines will be available for sale. Be sure to consider what comes with your detector. Coils and other acccessories are expensive. Also consider the ground you will be working. In highly mineralized areas the later models will run quieter.

Thanks for the fast reply.I know what you mean about buying the best with accessories Im sure if I keep on it I should be able to find a machine with accessories in the low $3000 range or maybe lower.

Creek hunter,

I purchased a used 4000 from Matt in May. It came with a stock coil and an elliptical mono. Upgrading from a Whites gold master I found the minelab far easier to operate. I think personally the hardest thing to master is the patience required to dig up boat loads of nails,cans,bullets ect.good luck with a purchase and good luck sniffing.

Aaron R

After years of dredging and panning and surfing this forum I finally decided that detecting is the way too go.I have searched a lot of the debates on which PI to buy and am still a little confused on what should be my first detector,should I start with the easy to learn 2100 or jump to a GP series like a 3500 or 4500.My biggest fear is not being able to master an advanced machine or being constantly confused or frustrated.I guess I would be more comfortable if some one would be willing to walk me through a GP series to help start me with settings and such.I live in N ca near sacramento and am wondering if anyone in my area would be willing to meet with and walk through a gp machine,I dont expect to be taken to a secret nugget patch I would just like someone to meet me face to face.I have access to 650 acres near donnieville that I wish to hunt but want to know a little bit of what Im doing.

Give me a PM and we can hook up. I run a GP Extreme and will be glad to let you check it out.

Micheal

Creekhunter

I agree with what others said, get what you can afford. The GP series machines are a good start, I don't think you can go wrong with an Extreme, 3000 or 3500. I live in the Grass Valley area and have been detecting for about 15 years, shoot me a PM and I would be glad to get together and get you using your machine.

Take care, Wes.

Hey there creekhunter

I just bought a older sd 2200d and one day of reading the manual and it was a piece of cake. Don't let all the bells and whistles scare you away from the Minelab. EVERYONE has to learn the machine.I was finding BBs in my yard the very first time I played with it. Info is everywhere. NVRADAR

Creekhunter

I bought my first Minelab, a 4500 2 years ago. The controls were a little confusing at first, but after a few times out, they made sense.Get some videos on the GP/GPX series and you will see that you can't mess it up.There is always the "Factory Presets". buy the best detector you can afford, you won't be sorry. What part of the country are you in? Dave

Yep, just get as much detector as you can reasonably justify based on your expendable funds and your proximity to detectable gold. The learning curve stuff is a bit overstated in my mind, reading the manual and just getting out there will help a lot. I got a used unit and had no manual, I just paid attention to people's posts on these forums about settings. Learning the machine and hearing the gold is the easy part, finding a place with gold is harder.

Thanks to everyone who have replied with some great advice and offers to help me learn how to use a PI machine.

I also recieved some PM's advising me to be careful about buying a used gpx 4500 because of problems with the early

models and not having a warranty to cover repairs and I also learned that on the extreme model you can get a good one

or an unstable one.So with that info it looks like a used gp3500 may be a safe bet.What do some of you think would be a decent price on a gp3500.Someone told me that they have seen some good deals from dealers at outings on a new gpx4500 as low as $1900.

I have as much as $3000 I can spend without sufering too much pain but would prefer something less.So if I can find a new 4500 at a blowout

price Im thinking that might be a good way to go that way I will have a two year warranty.So if someone can chime in on prices that you have seen it would be much appreciated.

Think about how much you will actually be using it and then get what you can afford!

If you just want some gold, then go buy some, but if you want to have a blast, then jump in and get the best deal with the most accesories(coils) that work in your area of operation.

I got a GP Extreme from Mrs.Lucky and although I haven't got to put much time in with it yet, what time i did have was wonderful.

I enjoyed learning the different combinations of settings for different areas.

If you can get help from the owner, you will be miles ahead...I always say I like to flatten the learning curve, so I have no problem asking for help.

Lucky put me thru the school of DIGGology!!! -----but hey, it never hurts to dig a target,,,,,lol.

You will love your ML PI,regardless of which one you get!---

PS...[Read the manual]---i was surprised how much stuff was in there ;)

Paul

Think about how much you will actually be using it and then get what you can afford!

If you just want some gold, then go buy some, but if you want to have a blast, then jump in and get the best deal with the most accesories(coils) that work in your area of operation.

I got a GP Extreme from Mrs.Lucky and although I haven't got to put much time in with it yet, what time i did have was wonderful.

I enjoyed learning the different combinations of settings for different areas.

If you can get help from the owner, you will be miles ahead...I always say I like to flatten the learning curve, so I have no problem asking for help.

Lucky put me thru the school of DIGGology!!! -----but hey, it never hurts to dig a target,,,,,lol.

You will love your ML PI,regardless of which one you get!---

PS...[Read the manual]---i was surprised how much stuff was in there ;)

Paul

Thanks Congress for your input,as of now the gpx5000 is a little out of my price range and the 4500 is out of production so my options are not looking to good right now.I was told to stay away from a used 4500 because of problems with the early ones and that there are Chinese knock off flooting around.So wish me luck.

I noticed you didn't mention the GP3000, it's between the GP Extreme and the GP3500, if you can find one they can be a bargain at around $1900, but if you can afford the GP3500 go for it.

Thanks Congress for your input,as of now the gpx5000 is a little out of my price range and the 4500 is out of production so my options are not looking to good right now.I was told to stay away from a used 4500 because of problems with the early ones and that there are Chinese knock off flooting around.So wish me luck.

Creekhunter,

I'm not sure where you heard that the 4500 was out of production, but as far as I know it's still is in production and I know for a fact that it's still being advertised on Minelab's website, I know for sure that you can still buy a new 4500 at the dealers, Rob or Doc can verify this if I'm wrong.

http://www.minelab.com/usa/products/gold-detectors/gpx-4500

Maybe it was a typo, but I just thought I would add this in case you got some bad info, it is true that you have to be careful and buy from a reputable dealer because of the Chinese counterfeit 4500s still being unloaded on unsuspecting buyers.

Skip

creekhunter i have my 4500 for sale in the classifides and it went to minelab and had a new board installed in sept,it is basicly new now, The board change takes care of the problem some of the 4500,s had Plus i threw in a lesson,that my freind is a very important time saver for some one new to the machine and it,s operation.with the coils /stock and the commander12/15 you would only need a 8 inch round mono commander and you would be good to go.That said i would only recommend this to some one who is determined and is planning on spending the time and to pay the dues that it takes to become a smooth operator, it is to expensive to be a dust collector sitting in the closet.

• Admin

Hello All,

Just wanted to mention the GPX4500 is still available new, but there are only like 100+ of them left in the United States. Once these units are sold, there will not be anymore made. They have stopped making them, but they are still available until the stock is gone. For the most part, I can sell you a brand new GPX4500 for a heck of a lot less than what I could about 6 months ago.

Give me a call if you're interested in a new one, plus I have one used one also if you don't find a better deal on the forums.

Take care,

Rob Allison

creekhunter i have my 4500 for sale in the classifides and it went to minelab and had a new board installed in sept,it is basicly new now, The board change takes care of the problem some of the 4500,s had Plus i threw in a lesson,that my freind is a very important time saver for some one new to the machine and it,s operation.with the coils /stock and the commander12/15 you would only need a 8 inch round mono commander and you would be good to go.That said i would only recommend this to some one who is determined and is planning on spending the time and to pay the dues that it takes to become a smooth operator, it is to expensive to be a dust collector sitting in the closet.

There you go Creekhunter.!!!

..it is almost right down your alley,,,3000.00 is what you said you had comfortably.....so that is the kind of deal i would look for.....ESPECIALLY THE LESSONS......that meant more to me than anything,,,

I bet without someone giving you a heads up lesson that i could find more gold with the Extreme than you could with a 4500....for awhile,anyway,,

i am a believer in getting lessons from the person who owns it...[if they ever found any gold]

I am looking forward to seeing what you finally get and keep us all informed of how it goes, OK?

pk

Hello All,

Just wanted to mention the GPX4500 is still available new, but there are only like 100+ of them left in the United States. Once these units are sold, there will not be anymore made. They have stopped making them, but they are still available until the stock is gone. For the most part, I can sell you a brand new GPX4500 for a heck of a lot less than what I could about 6 months ago.

Give me a call if you're interested in a new one, plus I have one used one also if you don't find a better deal on the forums.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hi Rob.

Thanks for chiming in here on my quest.At first I was not sure what I would end up with within my budget of 2-3 thou so I followed all the great advice from members

on this board and decided to pursue a new 4500 to see if were posible.I thought about contacting you because of the great training you would provide for me but while making inquiries starting close to home then faning out futher I made contact with a dealer that was sitting on about seven new 4500's and he made me an offer I simply could not refuse within my budget and with training in Rye patch.So my short but busy quest has ended and Im excided about my purchase.

I want to thank everyone on this board who have offered great advice which encouraged me to pursue something better than was expecting.Looking forward to posting some

finds hopfuly in the near future.

Good luck to everyone on future hunts....Tom

Archived