29 Prospector has moved on...

Bob Dunkin, 29 Prospector, left us early this morning for better diggings.

His passing is a big loss for all of us

but it is heaven’s gain,

he was quite a guy.

For those of you who knew him and the kind of person he was,

there are no explanations needed.

For other forum members who perhaps grew to know him

from his posts or his writings of prospecting and the desert

he loved so passionately and so openly,

there are other aspects of him that are worth sharing.

If you happened to spend some time out in the Dale the chances were good

you would run across him in person either dry washing or tearing down one of the unforgiving dirt roads in his beat up Toyota truck.

Either way he would invariably have a plume of dust rising around him,

I think he liked that way.

He seemed as much a part of the natural surroundings as the windy, sun swept hills.

He was a repository for much of the history and many of the secrets this unique and mysterious desert region has to offer.

He lived in great pain and suffering for the six or seven years I knew him

but you would not have known it.

His generosity, his enthusiasm, his gentle and infectious good humor,

his willingness to share all he had gleaned from his years in the desert with a greenhorn prospector,

all this came far ahead of any talk of himself or his ailments.

If you turned 360 degrees in the Pinto Mountains,

he seemed to have a story for almost every hill your could see.

His father had showed him how to follow a trend in the geology in that series of hills over there,

he had spent a few years developing a mine in that range out there,

the road up these mountains had been bulldozed with funds he had put up himself,

money he probably should have saved for a house payment or some medicines.

He could not get enough of the desert and it seems the desert reciprocated.

It rejuvenated him when he had been ill,

it gave him hope when he had lost his,

it revealed a path to him when he was lost.

All these things and more he enthusiastically passed on to those of us who came to know him a little

and we are all better for it.

Godspeed Bob,

and thank you...

post-615-0-74549500-1302213468_thumb.jpg

post-615-0-21044800-1302213504_thumb.jpg

FlakMagnet

I did not know Mr. Dunkin and only know you from reading your posts over the years. That was very thoughtful of you to let all know of his passing and letting us in on a glimps of his being. There is no doubt in my mind that you could call apon him to be a Guardian Angel in your desert travels. Kudos Sir .. very well said

RIP

29 Prospector

May God lift the heavy hearts & spirts of those in grief...

I had the honor and pleasure to meet Bob in person only once, but I can still hear his voice, filled with enthusiasm for all things prospecting related. We conversed over the phone and through email over the years and his desire to share with and help others never waned, even when he was down physically. What a great loss in knowledge, experience and generosity. What a great place this world would be if more of us were like Bob. My condolences and prayers to his family and friends...Jim P.

Bob and I both retired from the phone company.I've talk with him on the phone but never had the pleasure of meeting him.Sad to hear of his passing.I've got his number on my cell and it will be a hard thing to remove it.

Flak thanks for your post.

Chuck Anders

My first post, I think.

I have walked many of the trails that Mr. Bob Dunkin and his father walked. Peered down many of those shafts that they had built or continued to had built. I always wondered about the times and stories that could be told about them. I never did directly cross paths with this gentleman but sure do wish I had. One of my few regrets in life was not having looked into his eyes and heard those stories. Sure glad my brother had one chance and the stories were great. And we will be walking those trails and looking for that gold as Bob and hid father did. We will always be thinking and keeping him in mind. May Mr. Bob Dunkin rest however he wishes

Hardrock Mark

A lot is lost with the passing of Bob Dunkin. Thankfully he was a generous person and shared much knowledge and many stories that will be told for a long time. I only recently met Bob but it's not a time I'm soon to forget. It was a special time for me to talk with him around the campfire in the place that truly was his home. It's a sad time for those who knew Bob and it's a sad time for those who didn't. He was unique and something is definitely missing with Bob gone from this world.

RIP Bob, only got to talk to you via email, but you provided me with a wealth of information. You will be missed.

Shocked, I was looking forward to hearing about his new mining exploits as he was apparently healing so well. I'm sure God was merciful and gave him a deal he couldn't refuse, rest in peace.

I think Bob knew every square inch of the Dale and could tell you about it. Even when his back was so bad he couldn't get out of his truck, I watched him pull up to an ore pile in the Dale, open the door, lean out and pick up a gold bearing piece of quartz. He was definitely a miner at heart and not satisfied staying in the city. He freely shared his knowledge and was a good friend. I even named my dog Dunkin which Bob got a big kick out of. (It was a little confusing at outings when I would yell "Dunkin get over here!")

I will miss him greatly.

Lucky Joe

Your wit, humor and stories will be greatly missed as will you Bob. You are a prospector's prospector and a miner's miner as well as a story teller, which I am sure you will continue throughout eternity. Bob's earthly pain is gone, but 29 Prospector will go on forever as a much younger man out in the hills he loved with his Dad and friends who passed before him waiting for others yet to pass.

Archived