Indian reservations around Quartzsite

Does anyone know what indian reservation is in that area that is about 10 miles west of dome rock?

Around Tom wells road.

Tks

Tom

• Admin

Hey Tom,

Well this is a touchy subject, but to answer your questions it's illegal to hunt the CRIT (Colorado River Indian Tribe) land. Prior to them taking back a good portion, if not all the La Paz placers and then South of I-10 it was open BLM ground if you could find a spot not claimed. A good friend of mine that lived in Parker owned 80 acres along one of the major gulches and worked it with a small backhoe for years. I used to visit and detect his claims several times per year during the cooler seasons. His claims were Grandfathered in once CRIT got control of the land, but he got so much pressure from the BLM on new bonds and fees, he finally just walked away from some decent gold. I believe the CRIT placed so much pressure on the BLM for all claims that were Grandfathered in, most just walked away cause it wasn't cost effective to pay the much higher bonds and fees.

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob Allison

Thanks for the replies guys....

Im just trying to figure out spots for when I go to the outings at Quartzsite in the fall.

Looks like we lost a lot of good areas to the reservation. :( Im sure they are out there detecting...yah right.

Tom H.

Adam, if you run across it again, please let me know. I have been to their headquarters in Parker looking for one. They sent me to the Tribal Real Estate people, who in turn referred me to the Tribal Game and Fish, who had no idea what I was looking for. In fact, when I went to the Game and Fish, the lady behind the desk pulled out her scalping blade the moment I walked in the door. That was scary, and I ain't 'fraid of nothin' !

Patrick.....

Just marry into the tribe, then you can do whatever you want...

Seriously, the SWPA has claims but have been and are fighting the tribe for the access that was supposed to be part of having a grandfathered claim...

I know I nearly got scalped when detecting an area that I thought was open...a BIG res-cop came along and educated me...fortunately he was reasonable and I was properly contrite...I won't be going back!

fred

I have a map of the La Paz goldfields that shows the southern tribe boundries ... I got it quite a few years back from some government site just after Bush gave the land back to the tribes and wiped out most of the good placer prospecting areas ... There's some SE, E and a little S areas available and some of them are open to prospecting ... There's some club claims, Road runner and GPAA and a few Quartzite clubs that offer good prospects to the east ... Cheers, Unc

Fellows

Here is an idea,that you could try.

Those tribes seem to be a pretty progressive group of people,and are trying to

attract tourists,and recreation. With the right approach and some respect,they

may be interested in opening a recreational prospecting area,such as a tribal

managed prospecting club.

If it could be shown to benefit the tribes,they may be willing to talk. I wouldn't

mention knives or scalping when meeting with the officals though. :(

I also noticed that CRIT has a lands dept. Has anyone contacted the lands dept.

for a map? You may have to show a legitimate reason for the request,but I bet that

they have one. Tribes are a little cautious about handing out detailed maps to any

outsiders.

Well then get adopted...

anyway, i will be the first to say that the "native" people have their beefs ( or would that be beeves?)...but then the people that were there before them had some problems with the new "natives"...but,I digress... I did talk to some of the folks and they always bring up the SACRED LAND, can't have any white eyes defiling the ground...I guess they don't see the crap and garbage laying all over most of the yards one passes...but, I give credit to the Bard Tribal Council, they have really cleaned up there land...

many sides and no one truth...

fred

• Admin

Hey Ron,

Looks like what most don't want to hear, that the boundary is South of Interstate 10, covering pretty much all the La Paz placers North of I-10. Some good gold was found back in there, but not worth the risk to get caught, plus most of the patches have been hit hard over the years.

Not sure if Ron still makes his custom maps, but they are well worth the money.

Talk with you all later,

Rob Allison

Ron is the man when it comes to Az maps. I used to hunt that area in the 80's and 90's. The La Paz placer area north of I10 was fair game back then all the way to about a half mile north of La Paz road but from what I understand because of (complaints to our government) Id heard that the Indian reservation was going to go back to the original boundaries which goes all the way south to I10 and also includes Dome Rock mountains. The Dome Rocks are considered SACRED

AzNuggetBob

Hi all Im just going to say this about the Indian reservation up there north-west of Quartsite. when I was hunting up there in the 80"s before the land went back to the Crit I was hunting along the border as I stated before just north of LaPaz road. I came upon a row of white 4X4 posts similar to mining claim posts but very close together. I knew it was the border. I had been told by some of the locals in Quartsite that was were the line was, don't cross it! I swung my detector for about a half hour and I looked up to see a white bronco pull up and the occupant just sat there. After about another half hour another white bronco showes up and this one gets out and goes over to the first one and I see his uniform. now I have to say I dont recall them ever saying a word to me but I felt like I was ether hunting along the Mexican border or getting to too close to area 51

AzNuggetBob

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Parker has been part of the CRIT for some time.

AzNuggetBob - I know the boundary too well, found a pretty nice patch right along it many years ago. I was always worried the patch was just over the boundary, too hard to call since it was on a slope that was on the downside of seeing any markers. Nothing big, mostly gram size nuggets from .5 - 3 grams, but a nice handful of them. I personally haven't been back to this patch for at least 10 years, would love to run it again with the GPX-5000 and newer coil.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison