Smallest One Ounce Gold Nugget I have ever found :)

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Yes, that is correct, I believe I have found my smallest one ouncer to date.  I'm referring to the size overall of the 1 ounce nugget.  Most of my 1 ounce nuggets or larger are flat and much large in size.  This slug, it solid and dense and weights 20.4 Dwt's, just .4 Dwt's over an ounce (20 Dwt's per Troy Ounce).  

I'm not going to discuss how deep it was found, or signal response - It was found with a Minelab GPZ 7000 and it was deep! :minelab:

Wishing you all many gold nuggets.

Rob

IMG_2777.jpg

• Like 9

• 4 months later...

Hey Rob

Nice slug of gold. It looks like it's from the river of gold,RH Az. All the nuggets that I've seen come out of there are smooth slugs, ancient channel. The smallest one ouncer that I recall finding was almost dead round like a marble. (looking for a photo)I found it back by The Johnson mine. From the same old channel ? 

AzNuggetBob

• Like 2

5 hours ago, fishing8046 said:

Very Nice!

It is like a ten pound bass or a 5 point buck. Most of us will only strive to have that one swing that ends up being a one once solid gold nugget.  Really cool thank you for sharing.

All you have to do is trade in that old GB2 for a 6K-Ha Ha-:ph34r:

• Like 1

Nice find, I know how you feel. Back in my early VLF days I got a similar one that was about the same size and shape of a dice that busted the 1 ounce mark.  I was thinking of painting the dots on it and calling it a weight dice😀. Let hope you find it's mate.

Edited by geof_junk
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the replies.  I guess I missed them all.  

Funny story to add to this.  Years ago, back in the early 2000's time frame, I found a piece very similar.  I struggled for years to find a 1 ounce gold nuggets, but found many nuggets and some not too far from an ounce.  That being said, I just wanted to be part of the 1 ounce club.  I found a nice slug, down deep with the SD2100.  I was so excited, I was convinced it was an ounce or just over.  I thought, man this is the first one ounce gold nugget, it's about time.  

I got home and placed it on the scale, dirty still.  It was toggling between 19.9 Dwt's and 20.0 Dwt.s (20 Dwt being an exact Troy Ounce).  I called my Cousin, I was so excited.  He said you have to clean it to be official, so I did.  It was 19.8 Dwt's ..... Never mad the club at that point in time. 

Rob

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2021 at 2:25 PM, nuggethunting said:

Funny story to add to this.  Years ago, back in the early 2000's time frame, I found a piece very similar.  I struggled for years to find a 1 ounce gold nuggets, but found many nuggets and some not too far from an ounce.  That being said, I just wanted to be part of the 1 ounce club.  I found a nice slug, down deep with the SD2100.  I was so excited, I was convinced it was an ounce or just over.  I thought, man this is the first one ounce gold nugget, it's about time.  

Rob

Isn't it funny how many pieces of gold come in at 3/4 oz or just below 1 oz?   It is crazy.  I think baby jesus was sitting there when those were being made, and said "nope... let's reeaaally piss them off).  haha.  Obviously you killed those goals, since then.  I think you're even in the 1+ pound club, now, right?  Craaazy.  I doubt I'll ever see that.   Good on ya, though!!

• Admin

Hey Andy,

Ya I have found plenty under a ounce, many very close and then many over.  However, realistically the big gold is very rare, thousands of smaller nuggets to probably each one ounce piece.  I used to keep spreadsheets each year of nuggets found, numbers and weight so at the end of the year I could look and see not only the number of nuggets found, but what was some of the weights.  I remember less than 10% of the total nuggets were from a 1/4 ounce and larger.  

One Pounder + Club .... Hummm .... :ph34r:

• 2 months later...

I have found many nuggets I beat the 1 Oz. mark (after a lot of failures ) with a 4 Oz. bit and then a specimen with 7½ Oz of Au in a specimen the largest nugget found later was a SUN BAKER at 5½ Oz. solid bit later  on I found a deep specimen over 2½ Kilos. that yielded 16+ Oz but once the fever sets in the target get higher and to make things hard my mate found a 96 Oz. solid nugget. At my age and what life throws at you I guess I will not get to the next target, but it will be fun trying and Midas smiles on some so who knows.