Lucky's Whopper Nugget

RickWith47dwtSmile.jpg

As you can tell by my self portrait, I was and still remain a happy prospector! The morning started slow, but I had one small dink in my bottle. By lunch and I didn't have any packed that day, I was getting tired of digging trash. I told myself, just one more and I'll head back home. I thought to myself, where could I find that one nugget to call it a day on, the knee high grass was calling me. I walk right to the tall grass and the first spot I found that my 11" Commander could fit down into I received and large booming signal. If there is one thing I've learned with metal detecting is to dig all targets. I'm sure most everyone here will tell you the same and I've found many of nuggets under the trash targets that I've dug. On the same note, large nugget that are shallow will give you a overload type of sound, I've seen NuggetSlayer dig to many half ouncers to hear any different...dig them all or someone else will, it's no secret. I had my broken pick with the duct tape at this time and I was cutting down a large area in the grass, so I and metal detector could have some room, this took a few minutes. I grab my GP Extreme and went over the large cleared out area. That dreaded, booming sound of and overloaded coil in my ears. I started hacking away at the dirt which turned to sticky schist clay. I had a hole going that was way to big, I thought to myself grabing stuck clay off my blade of my pick. I then thought it was a chunk of steel or some old barbed wire I was chasing. A couple more blade fulls of clay and I was down to bedrock schist. Sure as anything on my big magnent there was a big chunk of metal stuck to it. Well I had that feeling anyways and as I stood up from my kneeling picking position I grabbed my detector for a final sweep of the big hole. Bang, a solid sounding large target up in the far corner of the hole. I said, that is where I stuck my coil the first time so I picked my way slowly to the bedrock in that corner, and yes the hole was even bigger now. Another sweep and the target was now looking to be in this crevice of bedrock. With my picks pointy end, I was scraping it as deep as she'd go and had a good pile of clay to scrape out of that end of the hole. I grabbed my detector to give another sweep and looked into the crevice as I swung my coil to the hole. I seen a fat nugget guessing about 6 dwt's, I grabbed the exposed part and kept grabbing more gold. OMG!!! It was heavy and kind of ugly, but it was in my hand's. They still say they could here me yelling all the way back into town. Now, I've had the pleasure of finding some nice gold, but this one is the biggest. After all the hoopla a couple day's later, I was wondering where that first little nugget (Picker) was. It was still in my field bottle, I took it out to add to the poke. Giving it a little bath, I noticed it looks just like the "Pointy Finger of Gold" except it was a Mini-Me of it! They make a great pair and it was a day to remember. Until the next big nugget...Dig all your targets!

1Feb09005.jpg

21Jan09BigDay474dwtOnScale.jpg

Now that is one big mother and it may be pointing to more just like it.With that beauty you got bragging rights that should last you a long long time.I'd be back out there with a lawn mower and I would covering every inch of that ground with different coils.

Thanks for the show and tell.

Chuck Anders

Lucky

That is a great story. I love happy endings. I still remember the gold nugget I found that was that big. I now have it hanging from a chain around my neck. I was literally shaking from amazement when I found mine, an experience that I will never forget even I get Alzheimer's. Thanks for the fresh reminder. :D

• Admin

Hey Lucky,

Yep, that Username "Lucky" fits you well. I don't think you're Lucky, but rather persistant and good! Congrats on a Monster 2.25+ ounce gold nugget.

Thanks for always sharing your stories here on my forum. Wishing you a very successful year. Hope to read more stories and see those nice California gold nuggets.

Take care,

Rob Allison

WHAT A WHOOPER!

You just had to out do me! did'nt you. lol.

That picture of you is a classic, CONGRATULATIONS!!

I always believe that good fortune always comes to good people and you are being rewarded for all the nice things you do.

As Willy Wonka and/or Shakespeare once said “so shines a good deed in a weary worldâ€, by you helping me get back into metal detecting with the poison oak issue, giving me many pointers and letting me keep the “Lady Nugget†which you did not have to do, good Karma has been stowed upon you…. What comes around goes around.

That means Nuggetslayer needs to pull out a 3. oz next week.

Can't wait to hold that bad boy. You can not make a pendant out of that or you will walk around hunchback.

AWESOME! :)

Tony

Lucky

Your going to love that 4000. I have one and it is a pleasure to use. Last year I got a 28 dwt nugget out in the spenceville area that was only about 6 inches deep. The old timers dug it up and thru it up on the bank an effort to get down to the bedrock I thought it was going to be a 45 slug or one of those 50 cals that are out there. I did just get a 2100v2 that I plan on getting modified to see it I can get it to compare with newer machines. I'm hoping it will punch deeper in areas I know has bigger deeper gold. Good luck to you in the future with the 4000, you'll really like it. Now nuggetslayer is going to have to sell his 3000 and upgrade again.

Take care, Wes

Gents,

Thanks for your kinds, encouraging words, all spoken by some of the greatest prospectors of our era.

Tony, thanks for bringing the "Lady Nugget" up for the photo opp with the "Pointy Finger of Gold"...they got along just fine. Get that poison oak heald up and get back in the woods.

Oh, and I was born on 17 Mar...St Patrick's Day, been Lucky since that day!

LuckyLundy

688dwt3.jpg

El Dorado,

Thanks for crafting me the one of a kind pendant. I received many WOW factor, Eye Popping comments. I still remember the day I found it and how you brought it to a new level of enjoyment! As you know it's on my neck day, night and during my detecting trips. Thanks again,

LuckyLundy

15Jan0987dwt.jpg

IMG_4486-1.jpg

Where are you Gma? What kind of prospecting will you be doing?

P.S. I think this is my first post on this forum. I always heard it was a good one but already had 3 I frequented..... well things got slow so now I added this one... things are picking up but I'm still reading your forum just about daily. Good posts thanks.