Going to Quartzsite SAT

Friday, I will drive to my uncles in Monterey, and SAT. we'll head out early to Quartzsite Az. Tex Garmany just moved there, We are taking him a spiral wheel Desert Fox and a keener Dry washer. We will have Sunday to detect before we head back real early Monday morning. Tex made friends with a guy out on gold nugget rd or Gold road not sure, any way they have a sand and gravel plant there, the guy cut the over burden down to just about bedrock, and has a 180 acs. so he is going to let us detect there, the guy is really not into detecting, but has a Whites, and two days ago found 4 nugget about a foot above the bedrock. I don't know that much about quartzsite, has anyone been detecting out that way, its east of Quartzsite on the south part of the freeway. Grubstake

I should have said! I'm going to America! Kalifornia, sure is not, But AZ. is. I got my local Congressman working on my VA service connected Claim on Agent Orange. I want to Move to America, if it comes through. Grubstake VIVA ARIZONIA!

There has been a TON of gold found around Quartzsite through the years. I have found some dry washing.

Much of it has been beat to death, and many private claims, but it sounds like you will be swinging over "virgin territory".

I envy you.....

Best of luck there and with your VA claim.

Patrick in Havasu

I've only been to Quartzsite 2 times, both times we hunted the Dome Rock area, so this will be private, not hunted before, because, the owner said he would take the gravel down to bedrock anywhere we choose on the land, and even cut a new road on it for us. . The catch is, we will only have one day to hunt. Full day that is. That will be Sunday. But since Tex, lives there, he will have plenty of place's and time. He just moved out a couple of months ago from OKL. and just got his girl moved out. . That why we are taking him a drywasher, my uncle had sitting in his grarge. Its brand new, you could say. It was bought many years back, but only used two weekend, before it went to the garage. Tex also has a 2200sd he bought off of Sandtrap. And he knows it good. He has already found a 1/4 ozer at Rich Hill on the Y not claims. Yeh. Patrick, I sure will be glad when FEB of next year comes, I'll be drawing my Social Security and maybe getting my VA Diability. Then I go to America. Ha! Ha! Grubstake

• Admin

Hey Grubstake,

Placer gold has been found on both sides, North and South of Gold Nugget Road and Interstate 10. If you venture too far South on Gold Nugget Road you will enter the KOFA Wilderness Area that is off limits to metal detecting.

As you know, the entire area around Quartzsite is a huge placer field. Some areas are noted for more coarse gold nuggets than others.

Sounds like any interesting area and you should turn some nuggets up.

Keep us updated.

Rob Allison

I hope so Rob, as I said we will be on Private land, the place where they are taking out gravel, and the owner has a big front end loader and a dozer. He said, we could pick the place and he would take it within a foot of bedrock. But like I said, we will only have one day of detecting, maybe Some on Sat. But its a long drive from Monterey,Ca. to quartzsite. beats bustin Brush up here. Grubstake

• Admin

Hey Grubstake,

One of the last places I prospected in Quartzsite is where I was chasing a vein of this ore down. I believe I have a good idea where the strike is going, but was limited on time. This area is very remote and requires a good hike to find it.

This piece was almost 10 ounces, with many Brother's and Sisters and even a handful of Babies to go along with it. It's some of the richest ore I have found during my prospecting/metal detecting ventures.

If I could even find the source, if it's still there (I believe so), at todays gold prices it could be a very good hit.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hey Gary, I have a friend from Oregon he's in his 70's his nephew found a 22 oz. piece and many smaller 2-3 oz and smaller ones too. This was fairly recently.

You will have an advantage when you get there if this guy only has been using a GMT on the property you will hit on deeper stuff I'm sure.

Good luck to you and yer unc. Keep us posted when you return an stay safe on the roads.

My other half mentioned going camping this weekend down there but we may end up going to Whittier Mexifornia to visit friends and get me some Jeep parts while there.

After I get ol nellybelle (the jeep)put back together you can bet I'll be doin some exploring around there.

Yeh, Frank, we drive careful. Long trip for just a day or maybe a day and half. But it will be a chage of pace. My uncles wife just had sugery, both femoral atteries were cloged 100% in her legs, and they put her in the hospital and cleaned them out and put stents in her legs and one in her stomuch where the two meet. She came home from the hospital, and started bleeding yesterday, they had to rush her back in, and give her two pints of blood, and repack the incissions, she came home today. grubstake

Good luck to you Grubstake, you deserve it. I cannot get to my claims yet, still too darn much snow. Probably won't be able to start dredging for another month with the high water. Always like to get to the claims and poke around a bit, been a long winter. Bob

Well, my uncle and I are back, 10 hours down, 10 back. only got in 3 hourshunting time, just tooo danged hot. It was 107 at 2pm, and we had to come back today. But heres some pictures. Grubstake

The place we were hunting, is leased from the BLM, and is an rock cushing plant and they size and crush the rock for drive ways and such, lots of uncovered quarts veins, and good looking places on the 600 ac. lease. and the guy that drives the loader and runs the scale is named Walt.

Glad you made it back safe and sound. Man, that's one heck of a day trip. If I drive for more than 3 hours, I require at least a 2 day shack up! Too bad you could not score a least a dink to wet you thirst.

Talk to you later.

Micheal

PS, check in with Jerry C. over in Angels Camp and see what he scored this weekend.

you Know Mike, its been a long time since I've talked to Jery C. I don't have his phone# anymore, you know him and my uncle were friends, when Jerry lived in Monterey, a long time ago. email me with the info on what he found. Gary

Yeh, well guess what? There in the process of opening the Gold Nugget Mine back up. really soon. We would have gotten in more detecting, but that heat is just too much. even for my uncle and he doen't have a bad heart like me. Grubstake

What I wouldn't give to know some of these folks. I'd lve to get to go hunting in an area like this!

Even for only three hours I'm sure it was a great time!

I know the area of which you speak. I was actually out on the GPAA claim on Dome Rock Rd that same Sunday and again this past Thursday. Dug a bunch of trash is all.

Do you know the name of the gravel pit?

There's a very interesting looking operation on the North side of I-10 that looks like a modern hard rock mine of some sort. Is that the Gold Nugget? There are some sizeable tailing piles along the range to the North, too.

In order to get to where I was, you have to go east on I-10 to Goldnugget Road, then go South, You will pass the Gold Nugget Mine, and the road curves to the right, if you keep going right you will see the huge classifide rock pile, three or 4 stories tall, and a trailer with a drive on scale, and you will also see a locked gate and the front enmd loader. When detecting in the leased area ,we were in, the Cell and repater towers will not be far away. Tex has made friends with Walt and he and who ever he brings are welcome to have free range of the area . I think he said 600 acs. There is one pit, that was dug by Walt, it goe's down 75-100 in the rotten bedrock. Grubstake

I forgot to say, Walt is out there everyday. Its a big area, and right now Tex is on his way to Brandy City Ponds, to do a little prospecting, So when the weather gets cooler. I can put anyone interested in touch with Tex, he like company to detect or Drywash.

In order to get to where I was, you have to go east on I-10 to Goldnugget Road, then go South, You will pass the Gold Nugget Mine, and the road curves to the right, if you keep going right you will see the huge classifide rock pile, three or 4 stories tall, and a trailer with a drive on scale, and you will also see a locked gate and the front enmd loader. When detecting in the leased area ,we were in, the Cell and repater towers will not be far away. Tex has made friends with Walt and he and who ever he brings are welcome to have free range of the area . I think he said 600 acs. There is one pit, that was dug by Walt, it goe's down 75-100 in the rotten bedrock. Grubstake

I forgot to say, Walt is out there everyday. Its a big area, and right now Tex is on his way to Brandy City Ponds, to do a little prospecting, So when the weather gets cooler. I can put anyone interested in touch with Tex, he like company to detect or Drywash.

Man Grubstake, that is a great offer for us newbies who can use the guidance (and

anyone else) thx and I will try to remember,,,,I work as a travel nuse at Phoenix VA,,,if I can help you with anything ,let me know.....AirBorne 10thSFGA

Paul