Question

Guest sandtrap

Guest sandtrap

I've read what Rob and Chris said,about the big meeting with Minelab,in Vegas.. This yearly thing is ok, but I want this answered. With most of the gold here in the U.S.A., being found in the western states, why move the repair facility to Chicago? This seems to be real far, from where all the action is.. This is just my 2 cents worth. There must be a reason, but with the weather conditions here,versus the weather in Chicago, I would think that the practicality of a service center closer to the action is what is needed. Answers ?

sandtrap here is another question to add to yours.Will all new detectors come into the same place they will get repaired before sent out to each dealer??If this is the case it could cost the dealers more to get their orders.I would think that the big dealers live in gold country.

Chuck Anders

Guest sandtrap

True Chris, but I still think it was a bd choice of locations. Maybe Arizona, or another state, but Chicago? I lived there from birth till I went in the

Marine Corps.Came back, and got out of the big city.

Maybe they plan on getting that 15 to 1 ratio in repairs ? I hope not, as I like Minelab.

No, Chuck Not really. I have never drank , or done drugs in my life, So i really can't relate to that now, but my memory is fading{sometimers} so I guess that would kind of be like going toa party and not remembering if I had a good time or not. Just kind of funny, that both Bills and AZO made big statements about the Minelab deal in Vegas, and Rob is Silent. I hope he got an award too. Grubstake

• Admin

Hey Guys,

I've been on the run playing catch up after the Minelab Partners Conference. I got back home with over 50 phone messages and hundreds of emails. Made two runs out west today for detector sales and I will probably be up to 11pm tonight packing orders. Seems like the gold season is starting early this year ...

At the Minelab Partners Conference in Vegas, they mentioned they moved the main office to Chicago because of shipping times. It was taking the East coast dealers almost double the time to receive orders vs. the west coast dealers. Minelab said the main office is now much more centrally located within the US for all dealers and shipping times.

The coin/relic detectors are a huge market, just as big, if not bigger than the gold nugget detector market.

Hope this helps a bit,

Rob Allison

I know us gold prospectors think we are the only ones that count. (We are you know!) But trust me there are coin and relic detectorists that are every bit as rabid about their side of the hobby as we are. Just talk to some guys that have found Spanish Gold Coins on the gold coast of Florida. Or Civil War belt buckles.

The surprising fact is, most Minelab detectors sold in the U.S. are coin and relic units and are sold East of the Mississippi. As well as along the coastlines of the U.S.

I hated losing the headquarters and repair facilities here in Las Vegas, but Illinois is a much more central location and will be much easier for the bulk of Minelab customers and dealers to reach.

Doc

I think what most hee are interested in, {not that I can get one} is if the 4500's now in stock, are going to go on sale since the cost of a 4800 and 5000 is so close to the price of the 4500. Qestions that have been going on between the forum members. And Why is the 4800 so close in price to a 5000? for a couple hundred more, why not get the top model. Just speaking out loud, what everyone else is saying on the forum boards. Grubstake

Grubstake

Don't get me wrong but I found out long ago I didn't need it but drugs I never went there.

I too can't believe that Rob didn't win some kind award from Minelab.I know Chris posted that he did and when I seen the post I was thinking I wonder what Rob got.

He should of gotten Out Standing Dealer of the Year.Most sales,most honest,best package with the sale and best dealer long after the sell.I forgot one and that is most beautiful wife and baby girl a guy could have.That should carry alot of weight on any award.The only trouble is after all of this he's lost for words.

Chuck Anders

Grubstake

I'm like you I want to know if the price will drop on the 4500.If it would be lowered somewhat I may think about it.If I had the money to buy the 4500 at the price it is now I'd get the 5000.I see lots of people doing the same thing if the price don't change.

Chuck Anders

• Admin

Hey Guys,

I appreciate all your comments about my service, honestly and integrity. I have a passion for this hobby and business like no other, but that doesn't get you awards in the real world.

My only suggestion is to let Minelab know what you think about your dealers. There are a lot of great dealers out there that have the same business ethics as I do.

I will continue to do what I do, which I believe it "Doing the Right Thing."

Best regards,

Rob Allison

Hey, Rob. You should have gotten the #1 award! plain and simple. You go the extra mile not just sometimes, but all the time! For that, you will always have loyal people that will come to you first! #1 you have the best package deals!#2 you have knowledge of what a person needs and your ethics, won't allow you to sell them something they don't need. honesty! way above anyone I know, and service, that is second to none. I'm not the only one that feels or knows this. Your the man. Grubstake

DOC mentions the eastcoast... Coastline beach and inland coin and relic hunting while using a relatively inexpensive VLF-type detector is very popular there. There is a strong market for for fast-recovery VLF type "sniper" and "standard" coils that can handle trashy areas to ferret out 1700, 1800 & 1900th century coins on privately owned cellar holes and old farm houses and open areas; not to mention recovering now-valuable relics while working plowed fields during non growing times...

A pretty decent entry VLF detector can be bought for less than $300 and do a pretty good job of finding "stuff" not only back east or in the midwest but in the western areas too.

Gerry McMullen and Chris Gholson got the award for being in the Million Dollar Club. No matter what way you cut it, that is a heck of an accomplishment and a lot of detectors. Stuart Auerbach the President of Kellyco got the Eagle award for being one of the Industry leaders. Kellyco has an immense knowledge of the detecting industry, data and trends, and they have always been willing to help Minelab with that information. This has been critical to Minelab's planning and development to meet these emerging trends.

Congratulations to the recipients! As they say, nothing succeeds like success.

I know Rob and I sold more detectors last year than we ever have, but we didn't come close to a million dollars. In fact I think the most detectors I ever got at one time was 20, everything was back ordered.

I think Rob and I were a little over cautious when the big gold rush in the Sudan started and really didn't know what to think about it. I know early on I blew off several people wanting to buy 50 and 100 detectors at a time because I thought it was some kind of a scam.

That's OK, we managed to do OK on the Sudan gold rush while still keeping our loyal Minelab customer base happy. Rob and I spoke about this many times, and we realize that long term, it is our loyal customers that we have to put first. Don't get me wrong, it is nice to have those large demands for machines, but not at the cost of making the customers who have always been loyal to you unhappy.

I know Rob has the same customer service approach that I do. It makes no difference who you purchased your detector from. If you need help, if you have questions we are always there to take care of you and make sure any challenges get resolved.

I think at least 7 times this year I ran down detectors that were in for repair, or had been in for repair numerous times, and made sure that the right people at Minelab paid special attention to making sure they were fixed right, once and for all. I sold none of those detectors originally. But I also know it's good business to take care of Minelab customers whether I sold the machine or not, because in the future those folks I helped will come to me to buy a new detector.

Of course I had a unique situation because up until a couple of months ago the Minelab repair facility was right here in Las Vegas so it was no problem to drop in and talk face to face with the customer service manager at the time. As soon as she knew there was an issue it was resolved within a couple of days.

And another thing I want to say about the Gary Schafer, the head of Minelab USA, every one of us dealers have Gary's cell number. NEVER have we ever had such unprecedented access to to the top guy. On those tough issues when I did not feel like I was making headway for disgruntled customers, I would call Gary and brief him. Literally within minutes of ending a phone call with Gary, things would start happening that would lead to a successful resolution of whatever challenge a customer was having.

This happened with Jenn in Canada and several other customers. As soon as the right people at Minelab knew there was an issue, it got resolved and it got resolved quickly.

Now they have a new head of customer service in Illinois, EWOUT Kozel. This young man is sharp as a tack. Ewout over sees repairs. He has extensive experience in customer service, project management, engineering, and software. He holds a Bachelor of Science Degree in IT Engineering, as well as additional certifications in Project Management from the Hague in the Netherlands. In other words, he's not some ex Electro Shack retail clerk.

Under Gary Schafer there has been a whole new approach to taking Minelab service and customer care to an entirely different level.

The thing that impressed me most about this Minelab conference was the first thing Gary Schafer started off with was not some RA RA RA we are the greatest, he started off with; "We know we have made some mistakes, and this is what we have identified those mistakes to be."

We know we have let our customers down in the areas of .......

And here is what we have done, are doing, or are going to do to rectify these issues.

That is gratifying. Because when a company the size of Minelab can stand up and say, "Yep we have lost site of what we were supposed to be doing." Then you know they have taken stock of what needs to be corrected and they have accepted responsibility for their actions. Minelab has one goal, to be the only detector you ever want to swing and for you to be the happiest most loyal customers on earth.

So, I know I am all over the place with this post, but that's the way my feeble mind works. But, I think you will see a lot of improvement in Customer Service. FOR EXAMPLE, here is a new policy announced at the Minelab Partner Conference.

7 day, no questions asked product replacement

• Out of box failures

• Returned to our Partner within 7-days (from end-Customer)

• No questions from Minelab – we will replace the machine

30 day product replacement review

• Out of box failures up to 30 days after initial purchase

• Customer should be told to contact Minelab directly

• After a few questions from Minelab to discern any issue – we will (likely) replace the machine

90 day guarantee on out of warranty repair work

• Repair for same problem at no additional charge

• Free shipping back to Minelab to remedy problem (3-day select, both ways)

• Currently excludes Excaliburs (to be included Jan 1, 2011)

• For in-warranty work, we will extend a Customer’s warranty for the amount of time we have the machine

This is a solid shift towards GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE. And that is what you deserve and that is what you can expect from Minelab!

Thanks!

Doc

Your right Steve about Gerry.I don't care where you look you will see his name.The 5000 just got out and there he was selling it on ebay.I never have meet him but done some horse trading on the phone with him.I don't know if all he does is sell Minelab but if he sold that many it must be the major part of his time.

Chuck Anders

Archived