Coiltek Coils - Important Information

Hello to all,

I appreciate the time you will give in reading this information.

Let me know if you cannot read or download this attachment.

I have also just copied the text into the post. that is the easiest way!

Please let me know if you have any queries.

Regards,

Trevor

Statement regarding coil issues Feb 2011.doc

Attention customer,

Recently we have been made aware of an issue with some of our Goldstalker series of coils. This is due to a manufacturing fault found to cause poor ground balance ability and excessive noise when close to the ground.

We encourage any who have a coil specified in the serial number range below and which is behaving as previously mentioned above to contact your dealer or send it in for a review.

If you are not experiencing excessive noise and/or poor ground balance ability with your Goldstalker coil then there is no need to return it. Those which are returned and pass our review process will be promptly sent back to ensure no further inconvenience. However if a returned coil fails the review process then it will be replaced.

14” Goldstalker Round Mono Coils:- Serial numbers 0130 - 199

16” Goldstalker Round Mono Coils:- Serial Numbers 0640 - 700

18” Goldstalker Round Mono Coils:- Serial Numbers 1140 - 1254

18x12 Goldstalker Elliptical Mono Coils:- Serial Numbers 8130 - 8402

So far we have replaced the majority of coils which have been identified with the issue.

Coiltek Manufacturing takes the quality of our products very seriously therefore minimising any manufacturing issues getting out to the customer.

We can assure you that this fault has been rectified and all other Goldstalker products outside of the mentioned serial number range are of the high quality you would expect from Coiltek Manufacturing. We have a very good reputation in building excellent search coils and always listen to customer concerns.

Do not hesitate to contact us direct at ctmenquiry@coiltekmanufacturing.com.au if you have any queries or concerns.

Regards,

Trevor Ferraresso

Managing Director

• Admin

Hey Doc,

I have to give Coiltek a lot of credit for coming out and saying something got messed up. I'm actually getting more customers asking about them now since they believe they are the only company that will stand behind their coils 110%. A couple of customers contacted me during the week and mentioned they had trouble with other coils and couldn't even get a call back.

This is one reason I have supported Coiltek 110% from day one. They have backed everything they have done and if they make a mistake they can come out and make it right. I haven't seen or even heard of this from another company that builds coils.

Just my thoughts,

Rob Allison

........... I haven't seen or even heard of this from another company that builds coils.

Just my thoughts,

Rob Allison

Didn't Minelab do a recall on the 11" monoloop Commander coils recently?

However I tip my hat to Trevor at Coiltek Manufacturing thats a decent way to run a business and will no doubt pay dividends with his customer base in the future.

JP

JP,

You are correct about the recall on the 11" Mono Commander coils. Minelab sent out a notice to all their dealers about the problem back in November, and there is currently information posted on minelab.com under the NEWS section. Persons with coils that have serial #'s starting with C105, C106, C107, or C108, and are experiencing "falsing", should contact Minelab for a replacement.

Just to clarify things. There is nothing Coiltek did wrong in the manufacturing process to cause the problem.

We started getting a lot of complaints about falsing, and the coils being extremely touch sensitive.

I talked to Trevor about it and he said they were experiencing the same problem in Australia, and they were investigating it.

I sent coils back that I had taken back in under warranty, and immediately stopped selling the balance of coil I had on hand!

Fortunately I had almost all the coils that were suspect still in my warehouse because I quit selling them until we figured out the issue. Bottom line is Trevor told me to cut the cables off of all of them and throw them away. 150 brand new coils went straight into the dumpster. This was a major major financial loss for Coiltek but Trevor and I are of the same mind on issues like this. We are not going to knowingly sell coils which have issue.

The attached picture is sort of heartbreaking; especially since that was only a small number of all the coils we had to discard. When you think about the amount of labor that went into the coils, the shipping costs associated with getting them here from Australia etc. it was a hefty financial loss; but Coiltek Manufacturing will not compromise on quality or customer service.

BCOT!

Doc

JP,

You are correct about the recall on the 11" Mono Commander coils. Minelab sent out a notice to all their dealers about the problem back in November, and there is currently information posted on minelab.com under the NEWS section. Persons with coils that have serial #'s starting with C105, C106, C107, or C108, and are experiencing "falsing", should contact Minelab for a replacement.

This kind of reminds me of the cracked plastic issue NF had a while back, seems all the manufacturers have manufacturing niggles from time to time, at the end of the day I suppose it just comes down to how they and their distributors go about dealing with the issues that matters. :blush:

JP

This kind of reminds me of the cracked plastic issue NF had a while back, seems all the manufacturers have manufacturing niggles from time to time, at the end of the day I suppose it just comes down to how they and their distributors go about dealing with the issues that matters. :blush:

JP

I never heard NF "make a public announcement" about this issue. I had a NF 14" elliptical solid white plastic coil (not fiberglass) that was still under warranty and was told to just epoxy over the cracks to fix it because it was not a manufacturing defect. This was back when I had a 4000 (bought new from the first US batch) and the coil had only been used for a couple months on grassy slopes. I told a friend about it a week or so ago and got pissed off about it all over again.

For anyone that does have a coil, that is out of warranty, that has a crack, let me give you some advise on how to repair it.

Most of the ol' timers already know this trick, but for any of you new guys this trick comes in handy.

Take an old coil cover and use a cheese graters and grate of a nice pile of plastic shavings.

Take the shavings and put them in a glass container, and add a little acetone and let it sit, stir it occasionally until it gets to be the consistency of pancake batter.

Take some acetone by itself and paint it on the crack that you want to repair. This will clean it and prime it.

Without making the crack worse try to open it up enough to take your pancake batter and try to get it on the inside edges of the crack. Quickly put pressure on the coil to close the crack and hold it that way. It is even better if you have another set of hands so they can tape the coil in a way as to put pressure on the crack to keep it closed. CAUTION: don't allow the tape to get in the way of your work, because you are not done yet.

I like to use a popsicle stick to smear the plastic acetone mixture into the crack. Once you have the coil taped, take some plain acetone on the end of the popsicle stick and smooth out the seam of the crack where the mixture has oozed out. Now to reinforce it, layer on another glob of pancake batter over the crack and allow to dry. You can use a hair dryer to speed up the process. Do this a couple more times, add a layer, allow it to dry, and add another layer.

The acetone will bind the plastic batter with the plastic on the coil and when the acetone dries the plastic in the mixture becomes part of the plastic on the coil.

The repair is good and strong, and because it matches in color, it is not that obvious that you have repaired the spot.

So, don't throw away your old coil covers, as they can come in handy.

Doc

Just to clarify things. There is nothing Coiltek did wrong in the manufacturing process to cause the problem.

We started getting a lot of complaints about falsing, and the coils being extremely touch sensitive.

I talked to Trevor about it and he said they were experiencing the same problem in Australia, and they were investigating it.

I sent coils back that I had taken back in under warranty, and immediately stopped selling the balance of coil I had on hand!

Fortunately I had almost all the coils that were suspect still in my warehouse because I quit selling them until we figured out the issue. Bottom line is Trevor told me to cut the cables off of all of them and throw them away. 150 brand new coils went straight into the dumpster. This was a major major financial loss for Coiltek but Trevor and I are of the same mind on issues like this. We are not going to knowingly sell coils which have issue.

The attached picture is sort of heartbreaking; especially since that was only a small number of all the coils we had to discard. When you think about the amount of labor that went into the coils, the shipping costs associated with getting them here from Australia etc. it was a hefty financial loss; but Coiltek Manufacturing will not compromise on quality or customer service.

BCOT!

Doc

:o:blink::o dumpster diving anyone , that picture turns my stomach .what a loss but the right thing to do

I had one of those 18X12 goldstalker coils that was bad, I took it to docs, and it was replaced right away. Thanks Doc, great service !!!! Also got me one of those new 6" gold stalker mono coils from Doc, cant wait to use it...

Archived