Headphones or External Speaker

What do you run more often?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Headphones or External Speaker?

• Headphones, you miss faint targets will an external speaker.
    • External speaker, I don't think you miss targets and I like the freedom
    • Bluetooth headphones, the best of both worlds

When I purchased my Minelab from Rob I got the package that comes with a Doc's GoldScreamer power pack. I like the GoldScreamer so much I have never even pluged in the stock battery to the detector. However I learned the first day out I did not like the the pack with headphones at all. When you set down the detector to dig a target the headphones keep you tethered to the machine, pull off your head or come unplugged and just over all suck. So the next addition to my set up was of course a external speaker. I really like the set up with the external speaker and the freedom it provides. You can dig targets faster and easier without being attached to the machine and you can bushwack and move though thick brush without the cords getting hung up. However yeasterday the wind before that storm was really starting to whip up and when it gusts over 30mph I had to move to headphones. Then is seemed with the headphones I could get the thershold very quiet and just humming, more stable or maybe just lower then with the external speaker, I was picking up very faint signals.

So my question is are you more experienced detectorist headphone or speaker users more often?

• Admin

Hey AzOverLand,

I voted for headphones. I have always been a huge fan of headphones. That being said, Doc's new SlimLine speaker is very nice and with quality audio. I use the external speaker for field instructions and such, but when I'm hunting I will use headphones regardless of the time of year.

I do believe you get better overall audio, especially on faint nuggets. However, this is most important if you're hunting old patches or a place you think there might be a deeper nugget. Overall prospecting I think you can get away with the same performance with an external speaker if that makes any sense.

Just my thoughts,

Rob Allison

I disagree with Rob, but also am happy to allow everyone to form their own opinion on the subject. The main thing I feel that allows a correctly set up speaker to have an advantage over headphones is the removal of the immediate source of noise of the threshold from your ears, taking that further away allows fainter responses to come through that would normally be missed, I put this down to the threshold noise right in the ear desensitizing the ears somewhat (a little like exposing your ears to a loud noise for long periods making you feel deaf when the noise is removed).

I have proven this over and over again over the years, one patch produced 10 ounces of gold at varying depths, redoing the exact same gridded patch with a B&Z booster speaker combo netted another 2 ounces, some in my dig holes, some in my scrapes and some in virgin but gridded un-dug ground, so in that particular case a 20% increase in performance using the exact same coil and timings with the only difference being the booster speaker combo.

If using a GPX 4500 or 5000 make sure you run the Volume limit at 10 (cuts back on oscillation) and the Target Volume on 12 if using the Minelab inbuilt unit or 8 if using a B&Z or DOCs Gold Screamer pack.

Hope this helps and sorry to disagree, :blush:

JP

• Admin

Hey JP,

It's great to disagree, this forum is to get information out to people.

I've used headphones since the first SD2000, so I'm so in-tune with headphones. When I use an external speaker I feel like I might be missing something.

I know several guys that are very successful and only use external speakers. I just can't get myself used to them, so my preference is a good quality headset.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Hey JP,

It's great to disagree, this forum is to get information out to people.

I've used headphones since the first SD2000, so I'm so in-tune with headphones. When I use an external speaker I feel like I might be missing something.

I know several guys that are very successful and only use external speakers. I just can't get myself used to them, so my preference is a good quality headset.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Rob the secret is in the broad brimmed hat, the hat gathers the noise and syphons it to your ears, shhh...... its a well kept secret that one. :wub:

JP

There's no problem in using headphone as long as you comfortable with it. But since you mentioned that you're not and you prefer speakers there's no problem in it. Both type has advantage and disadvantage. The advantage of using headphone is that you won't be disturbing anybody else who were doing detecting with you (that if you're with somebody else). The disadvantage is you won't be able to hear other things but from your detector only. You won't be aware if something happens around you. On the other hand, the advantage of speaker is that you will also be aware of the happening around you and its disadvantage is its addition to belongings.

I personally like headphones until it gets to be 117 degrees in the desert.

A recommendation is that when you set your detector down, take your headphones off and turn the Gold Screamer all the way up, your headphones will act just like a speaker. The Gold Screamer is just that loud.

Alternate solution. I have on order 500 2 to 1 stereo adapters. So you plug in both headphones and speaker. When you take your headphones off your head, the speaker it right there working. It is also great for training. You can either walk along the person and hear what he is hearing through his headphones or you can have him hear what you are hearing through yours.

Doc

There's no problem in using headphone as long as you comfortable with it. But since you mentioned that you're not and you prefer speakers there's no problem in it. Both type has advantage and disadvantage. The advantage of using headphone is that you won't be disturbing anybody else who were doing detecting with you (that if you're with somebody else). The disadvantage is you won't be able to hear other things but from your detector only. You won't be aware if something happens around you. On the other hand, the advantage of speaker is that you will also be aware of the happening around you and its disadvantage is its addition to belongings.

AZOverland,

I didn't vote as I feel you left out another option that Rob touched on in his post. I use both, (not at the same time), but depending on the circumstances and my attitude that particular day. I always carry both headphones and a speaker so both are available.

Mike

AZOverland,

I didn't vote as I feel you left out another option that Rob touched on in his post. I use both, (not at the same time), but depending on the circumstances and my attitude that particular day. I always carry both headphones and a speaker so both are available.

Mike

Sure thing, but let's say your in a new area on a prefect day, what do you start with? For the sake of the poll what is your go to set up?

I prefer the external speaker ,ive been finding a conciderable amount of gold using them lately but always carry your headphones in your pak. The main reason i use the speaker is that feeling you get with the headphones(especially when solo) like someones watching you the hairs stand up on the back of your neck but i do hunt verry dangerous areas of smuggling. another advantage is the freedom of setting your stuff down to do whatever you need to do without having to unstrap :wub: . the only downfall ive noticed is that when digging some tin junk some coyotes came running up on me thinking i was an injured animal well they didnt like the springfield 45auto that sent them heeading right back in the other direction :blink: hope this helps..............justin

I prefer the external speaker ,ive been finding a conciderable amount of gold using them lately but always carry your headphones in your pak. The main reason i use the speaker is that feeling you get with the headphones(especially when solo) like someones watching you the hairs stand up on the back of your neck but i do hunt verry dangerous areas of smuggling. another advantage is the freedom of setting your stuff down to do whatever you need to do without having to unstrap :wub: . the only downfall ive noticed is that when digging some tin junk some coyotes came running up on me thinking i was an injured animal well they didnt like the springfield 45auto that sent them heeading right back in the other direction :blink: hope this helps..............justin

Justin - you can't get PM's - Let's meet up and go hunting sometime.

Some of those "Coyotes" have heat that make a 45 auto look like a peashooter......use caution.

But yea I have that feeling too, like the external speaker is giving away my location, but the headphones make me deaf. 6 to one - half a dozen to the other in that regaurd, too bad we have to even consider well armed drug smugglers when computing what type of prospecting sh!t we are going to use. More power to Brewer!

The main thing with speakers and boosters is the quality of audio they produce, a lot of the sound out of these systems depends a lot of what is put out of the detector in the first place, so you need to trim the detector to suit the application. I tend to run high tone levels (63), to suit this I also run a high signal number of 19, these two settings allow the response out of the detector to sound finer and smoother so when amplified they sound very crisp and clear so long as the volume settings are correct. :blush: The next thing is the threshold, generally where you run it for headphones is OK but I usually advise operators to ramp it up slightly to get the detector very smooth, once this is all done then set the Gold Screamer or whatever amplification you are using to suit, if the audio out of the detector is crisp and clean with no distortion then the amp (assuming it is a quality unit) will take the audio to the stratosphere and beyond and still remain clean.

Usually I'll start the day with minimal amplification from the booster then as the day wears on and my ears become conditioned to the audio I'll ramp the amp up a tad, main thing is to remember you need to be able to hear the audio/threshold of the detector above any noise pollution (foot falls, coil scrubbing, wind noise etc).

Hope this helps,

JP

G'day all, Just my 2 cents worth. I used a speaker befor I got my GoldScreamer but when I ordered my GoldScreamer I got one of Doc's speaker with it. I like it better than the Radio Shack speaker I was using. As per JP's posting on a Auzzy fourm I put on/off switch on both. I would not think of going out without my headphones,,but my 2 cents is-each to his own...................Idaho Al B)

Great discussion guys.

JP's more technical approach makes the reason for doing certain things with the settings much clearer.

I tend to run both dual speakers and headphones.

Sometimes it has to do with the weather conditions - how windy it may be etc.

other times what I choose depends on the location.

Dual speakers are a fascinating aspect of detecting to learn about.

They have some real benefits but only if, as JP has pointed out so clearly,

the rest of the settings are complimentary.

Speakers are a fantastic teaching tool.

Some folks don't like working around you if you're using speakers.

Other people don't like the fact that you are advertising your location etc.

But if I have my choice I use speakers.

fwiw,

Flak

Hi Border Boy,

You asked the question and you got numerous very interesting responses. Generally if I'm solo and feel relatively safe (I never leave home without my .357) I would probably use headphones. If I have a digger with me, then a spoeaker. This may change in the near term based on some of the answers above. This is a great thread thanks for starting it.

Mike

I certainly felt challenged using headphones in bear country, but my favorite is to use noise cancelling headphones coupled with a T-bone transmitter and receiver. In the outback though, external speakers is a must, especially above 37.

I'd certainly agree with JP on the habitualization of the threshold though

I have a 100decible hearing loss, and find I like headphones better, than a speaker, I like to detect, without advertising where I'm at, and hate detecting around anyone that useing speakers in the area, its distracting to me. And yeh I carry a pistol when I'm out too! Its for people running speakers!girl.giflaugh.giftongue.gif Grubstake

This is just my personal opinion.

When I started, I used the Koss headphones only, loved them, still do, but when its a bloody hot day and I'm getting tired, the last thing that I want is a big overload target blasting my ears off because I've just walked over another dratted bulletshell that some naughty rabbitshooter has littered on the ground.

I find the speaker more comfortable, and my ears like it better. I think that there is a lot of truth in that Our ears are not made to have noise pumped into them, but they are better at hearing from a distance.

Which is why I have portable rechargable logitech speaker for my ipod instead of earbuds.

Soooo in conclusion, I used to think the headphones were the bees knees,

After buying one of JP's audio booster/speaker rigs, I've gone away from the 'phones. And there's no way that I'm going back :mellow:

Just the thought of that bullet shell sound coming through the headphones :mellow::mellow::spank::spank:

It makes me shudder.... Uggh

My opinion only.

Cheers guys, great thread.

:DB)

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Going off the poll results so far, looks as if more prefer external speakers. Great to see someone got this thread going to allow others to voice their opinions and experiences with both headphones and external speakers.

They are both great, just comes down to preference.

Take care,

Rob Allison

Archived