Hey JP, What's your take on the new GPX detectors?

• Admin

Hey JP,

As you know the Minelab GPX4800 and GPX5000 are just about ready for release here in the US. I'm guessing you have one now or maybe been testing these units for some time. Just curious if you can tell us anything about the units that you might have experienced so far?

Always great to hear from you and your findings on the new detectors.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Chris & Rob

I'll lay you odds that JP is working on DVD's for the 4800 & 5000 right now.Now if not JP you need to get working on that being it helps a new owner of Minelab so much.Not all have the time to meet with Rob to get hands on training even if it is the best way to go.

Chuck Anders

• Admin

Hello Chuck,

Yes, it's my understanding that all the prior coils will work on the new GPX4800 & GPX5000 metal detectors. If you notice in the GPX5000 picture, the unit comes stock with both the 11-inch Round Mono and DD Commander coils.

Someone mentioned that JP found like a 500 Gram specimen in an old patch on one of the Australia forums, but I'm unable to find it. Hopefully JP will post some details of his finding on these new detectors.

I'm hoping to be out in the field this weekend with ....

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Hello Chuck,

Yes, it's my understanding that all the prior coils will work on the new GPX4800 & GPX5000 metal detectors. If you notice in the GPX5000 picture, the unit comes stock with both the 11-inch Round Mono and DD Commander coils.

Someone mentioned that JP found like a 500 Gram specimen in an old patch on one of the Australia forums, but I'm unable to find it. Hopefully JP will post some details of his finding on these new detectors.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

With....WHAT...Rob???.......grin... ;)

Hi Rob,

You know, I doubt Minelab wants me to mention this, but I can't see for the life of me why anyone will want a 4800. Once you factor in the extra coil the price difference is so small I don't see anyone who has that much money to spend not coming up with the extra few hundred dollars. Not especially considering how people are not keen to have the "next best". I know for me as an ex 4500 owner the only thing I am considering in a 5000. And for those wanting to save a buck, the GPX 4500 is still available.

Kudos to Minelab for having these things built and in stock ready to ship. I am so tired of people announcing new detectors, then having to wait for what seems forever for them to actually be available. And despite what some may think, I do not think there will be any issues like we saw with the early 4500 units. These are going to be hot out of the box.

As far as timings, it is obvious Minelab is paying more attention to the US market in that the new units are touted as being able to pull more small gold out of areas already hunted to death. The Fine Gold timings are aimed right at me, who would normally turn to a VLF for small gold. I think the 5000 will be the unit that I will turn to instead for many situations I encounter in the future.

Steve Herschbach

Hello Chuck,

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Hi Rob,

This is the link you need.

Cheers,

Rick

http://golddetecting.4umer.net/general-discussion-f1/jonathon-porter-t2328.htm

G'day Rob, yes I've been using the GPX-5000, just got back from an extended trip out bush and found the 5000 to be very stable to use compared to my 4500. Ground balance precision is the first thing an experienced operator will notice and then the overall quietness of the detector in all timings compared to the 4500 on the same ground types.

Picked these pieces up in the last week, biggest weighs just shy of 500 grams (broke a few bits off when I was digging it out at 2 1/2 feet :blush: ) Total all up weight is 820 grams or 26+ ounces

P8250120-1.jpgP8120096-1-1.jpgP8120092-2.jpgP8120100-1.jpg

Way to go JP. Looking forward to a new vid if you got one in the works.

Those are some big species and I would be interested to find out how much

gold is in them after they see the dolly. Thanks for sharing your finds.

Cheers,

Matt

Steve H.

My Thinking also on the price of the two detectors is why buy the 4800 when for a little more I can have the top of the line.If I can come up for the money for the 4800 I can assure you I'll dig deeper to get the very best.

I still say it's too much money but when you have the best of the best and coming out with something better each time you can name your price.You pay it and lead or follow behind finding less.

The only way you can ease the pain is buy from Rob's Detectors and get his package.By this you can look at all you get extra and take that amount off what you paid making that detector lots less.

I just looked at the clock and here I am at 4 in the morning writing this.I've got to go I need to get all my piggy banks out I've just got to have this new 5000.

Chuck Anders

I have actually laid hands on the GPX5000. It uses the same coils and the same battery set up.

I have been told by one of Minelab's employees that he has yet to find ground that it doesn't work in. He has gone back to a few places where he could not run the GPX4500 and he was able to run the GPX5000 and find gold.

So apparently with the new timings if you have some really out of control mineralization, this machine will smooth things out for you.

Doc

One thing I really like about this detector is the ability to target tiny nuggets in nasty ground with the aid of the new Fine Gold timings, (the supplied 11" mono is an absolute ripper for this purpose or any of the 10" ellipticals out there), I tend to be a little conservative with my Gain levels so with the GPX-5000 I like to run a Gain of about 13 (FP under the General tab is now 11), with the Motion on Slow, Stabilizer on 10 or 8 if things are a little unstable EMI wise (yes EMI is still present just not as in your face as before unless things are really bad). When I first started testing this detector I was regularly finding nuggets that would not register on my scales I had at the time even when I put 2 or 3 of them on at once so I had to buy myself some new scales that measure down to 0.05 of a gram and even then I have sometimes had to put two pieces on at a time to get them to register. :spank:

So you can imagine there is a lot of scrabbling about in the dirt trying to chase these things down but because the detector is so powerful you can't get anywhere near the coil whilst trying to retrieve the bloody target, so I have had to start using one of the plastic scoops we sell on our website which has saved me hours and hours of time and effort. But what is also extra handy is the new pinpoint mode available under the Custom Search mode tab, I do my thing detecting, hit a small nugget dig it then flick to Pinpoint mode to retrieve it (Pinpoint mode runs a much higher Gain setting and also implements the Boost audio so sounds very aggressive and would be too noisy for general detecting unless the conditions were quiet, but for just pinpointing for a few seconds it is brilliant and saves a lot of time), the only thing I recommend is set the Tone of Pinpoint mode to the same level you run when detecting generally.

Some people might say what's the point of finding such small gold? but from my point of view especially when I spend a lot of time in virgin country, even the tiniest little nugget is a good indicator of a good patch being nearby. I like the Fine Gold timings because they give you more feedback on what the ground is actually doing without the huge hits from ground noise and hot rocks so it means I can cover huge amounts of ground with my new favourite prospecting coil (17" elliptical Monoloop) whilst still hearing what the ground is doing as I move along. The 17" ellipticals have similar coverage to my favorite 18" round coil but weigh a hell of a lot less and have better sensitivity due to the narrow nature of the coils from side to side, so long as the ground does not get too deep (12" plus) the 17" really hits the sweet spot for this type of detecting. Then when you start to factor up a patch you can revert to the larger round coils or go down to the smaller coils to mop up.

JP

Some of the bigger little guys I've been finding.

P8260107-1.jpg

Thanks for the info JP. I'm looking forward to testing out some of the new timings on my old patches. I'll be upgrading from my trusty old GP Extreme in the next month or two.

I know you are right that:

Some people might say what's the point of finding such small gold?

I'd say in response $1240 per ounce and climbing.

At that price,

A penneyweight is $62;

A gram is $40;

Even a one grain "nugget" (0.06 grams or 1/480 of an ounce) is worth $2.50.

If I saw $2.50 on the ground I certainly would you pick it up.

It all adds up, and there are definitly places where 1 and 2 grain nuggets are present and ground conditions are too rough for a VLF.

• Admin

Hey Reno Chris,

I have to agree with you on the comments of small gold. I gets comments all the time about "not wanting to find small gold." I guess many think big nuggets are the only nuggets out there, or that they only target larger nuggets. Well I know within the last year or so I found probably about 500 nuggets under a Dwt, so if you do the match alone the small nuggets probably paid for a big Minelab PI.

I will take all the 1 grain nuggets and larger that are within my search area. If you want to leave them behind, just let me know and I will come behind you and pick them up. :D

Take care,

Rob Allison

I am curious about this comment, Steve;

And despite what some may think, I do not think there will be any issues like we saw with the early 4500 units. These are going to be hot out of the box.

If you can explain without a breach of some confidence why this would be so...as near as I can tell from recent posts many customers are still having detector problems and Service problems...If Minelab has solved their QC and Customer Service issues that is news that all the dealers should be shouting from the tops of their computer based stores...

I hastily add that dispite my complaints, I know there is no better nugget finding detector built (that is generally available to the public)and from JP's comments it looks like the 5000 will kick butt too.

Fred

Hi Fred,

I think you have to separate quality control from service. I think everyone is aware that Minelab has been having problems servicing their detectors.

But as far as issues with new machines, I have not been getting any complaints or returns. Quality of the current builds seems just fine from what I can tell. There was the issue with the early 4500 models, but those got ironed out. And bottom line is, Minelab has has these new units under wraps for some time. Instead of rushing them to market, they were on hold while Minelab built 4500 models as fast as they could be built. They have had extra time for field testers like JP to run the machine though the paces.

But hey, I could be wrong. Purely a gut feeling on my part. Personally, I can make a case that nobody hould ever be the first to buy into any new product of any sort. Early adopters always face the risk of finding a problem.

I will let you know. I will have the first GPX 5000 to hit Alaska, hopefully on Saturday. Already sold my GPX 4500. I plan on leaving Sunday to give the 5000 a spin. Should be reporting back on Thursday of next week.

Steve Herschbach

Well Fred,

Rumor has it that when the 45 was in "field testing phase" some one "let the cat out of the bag" and ML decided to release it before the few bugs were worked out. Now with the 5 and the 48 a tighter lid was kept on and testing was done with a few security tricks.

Just look at the time line for the models releases. Wonder why it took so long for the 5 and 48 to come to market.

Of course this is pure speculation on my part ; ) I'm sure others may come to much different conclusions based on the events.

Thanks Steve; I can't separate QC and customer service...in my simple world a well-made product is the cornerstone and will minimize returns and repairs...however, I am done beating that horse. Nonetheless, I hope you are correct...

Good luck in Alaska, I always enjoy your posts and information.

thanks Chris...whatever the problem, if it is fixed I expect there will be loads of happy customers...

fred

Hi Fred,

What I am trying to say is they are literally two separate things. Quality control at the assembly line is not the same as what goes on in a separate service center. You can have great quality control at build time, and great follow up service. Or great QC, but poor service. Or poor QC, but great service. Or sadly, poor QC, and poor service.

I think service is the key. I could point out a couple other companies that do not have the best quality control, but they make up for it with great service. And when paying top dollar, you have every right to expect good service.

Steve Herschbach

Steve you are wise...simple as I am, I agree. In a perfect world things would be my way...but it just ain't so...

I will say that having used my repaired and fully functional 3500, Doug's 4000 and a 4500 furnished by Mark, of Gold Prospecting In Australia , I was able to experience and appreciate the differences in each model. Because the airline didn't bother to ship my stuff I started my tour using a 4500 that Mark kindly set me up with. After 4 or 5 days we finally retrieved my stuff, so I used the 3500; not nearly as easy to use as the 4500. Then when with Doug he wanted me to use his 4000, so I did and then used my 3500...the 4000 was better than the 3500 but not nearly as easy to work with as the 4500...if I was going to be in Australia or thought I would get in a lot more nugget hunting here in the USA I would take my chances and be coughing up the dough for the brightest new toy Minelab has to offer...the 5000!

BTW; I offer my opinions as an amatuer, I donot pretend to be as experienced, nor as skilled with Minelabs as any of the "bignames" , no offense intended by that name.

Fred

Archived