Monsoon Storms = More Rattlesnakes!!

• Admin

Hello All,

This morning a partner and I decided to hit an old patch that produced a bunch of gold many ... many years ago. The area was close, so figured after all these heavy Monsoon Storms, we might get lucky to turn something up. After several hours of hunting, neither of us were able to score a nugget. We both had a pouch (mine was the new Deep Pocket Pouch from Doc), full of iron rubbish and bullets. I was scratching my head on this patch, figuring it would give up at least one dink to one of us ....

I did walk into this Pink Rattlesnake along the way. Make sure you pay attention to where you're walking/climbing.

pinkrattler01.jpg

pinkrattler02.jpg

Take care,

Rob Allison

Aw jez!

That sounds like a carbon copy of my post!

I didnt see any snakes though...I hate snakes!!!

It got a little hot out there around 10 didnt it. :)

Tom H.

Had to walk out to my camper a few nights back without my flashlight heard a rattle nearby, jumped back in the house for the spotlight. When I came back out the 6 ft grandaddy of all mojave was coiled up about 2 ft from my camper door under my kids slide.

Hated to do it but he got the serial killer pick to the head, I dont need one of my children or horses bit. that rain sure brings them out.

Justin

Hello Rob

Sancho had a big diamondback at bay thursday right in that new patch I found and I couldn't get to him to kill him so I left before my dog got bit.With all the rd. closures I can't reach my old spots but it payed off this week Good hearing from you.

Mike

Hey Rob

I agree the monsoons seem like a wake up call for the rattlers.As you know I have a little experience with Mojave's. I'd guess your enterested in my opinion. Looking at this one I'm not so sure he is a pink Mojave. His size judging by the prickley pear is about two-two and half feet long and that fits with a green majave.the amount of rattles helps confirm his age so I know he's not a young one..They are not large like western diamondbacks.many types of rattlers can have a pink color or even be green. but without testing the venom you really never know for sure.according to what I've been told its more of a natural way blending in with their enviroment more than breed. If you look close this one has more in the way of bands with spots.that is almost typical of the speckled, Grand Canyon or even a Hopi but If you found him where I think you found him,he's a long way from home?. :P

Just my opinon.

Take care out there,AzNuggetBob

And if this thred gets to crazy Im going to get out the

BS-Meter.gif just kiddin have fun. :) :)

Hey Rob

I agree the monsoons seem like a wake up call for the rattlers.As you know I have a little exsperience with Mojave's. I'd guess your enterested in my opinion. Looking at this one I'm not so sure he is a pink Mojave. His size judging by the prickley pear is about two-two and half feet long and that fits with a green majave.the amount of rattles helps confirm his age so I know he's not a young one..They are not large like western diamondbacks.many types of rattlers can have a pink color or even be green. but without testing the venom you really never know for sure.according to what I've been told its more of a natural way blending in with their enviroment more than breed. If you look close this one has more in the way of bands with spots.that is almost typical of the speckled, Grand Canyon or even a Hopi but If you found him where I think you found him,he's a long way from home?. :P

Just my opinon.

Take care out there,AzNuggetBob

And if this thred gets to crazy Im going to get out the

BS-Meter.gif just kiddin have fun. :) :)

Heres my thought on rattlers....................They can bite.....that aint no fun......im going the other way!

Dont care if its big, small, pink, green, yellow or purple!!!!!!!!!!

Tom H.

:)

• Admin

Hey Bob & others,

Ya, I don't think he is a Mohave either. I've ran into dozens of this same specie in the Congress/Yarnell region. I've seen them from this size down, this is actually one of the larger Pink ones I've seen in some time.

I do recommend wearing Snake Gaitors this time of year though. I almost walked right onto this one before he buzzed.

P.S. No, I didn't kill him, but had a hell of a time moving him away from where I needed to detect. When I'm out detecting, normally away from any settlement, I won't kill them. Now if this same guy was outside my house knowing I have a young Daughter or wildlife, I'm sure I would think a bit different.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Rob, as you know after years of killing rattlesnakes I took the vow to do no harm to them anymore. But...last week a rattlesnake bit my prized Border Collie and she died. This dog was more loyal than any of my wives and I feel like I lost my best friend. But now I have reaffirmed my vow to kill every rattlesnake I see. My new motto is, if it rattles it dies.

A long long time ago I worked driving truck in the oil patch around Linch Wyoming. Standing orders: You see a rattler YOU KILL IT! You did not get any grief for stopping what you were doing to accomplish that task. The reason was that when the hands were stretching guy wires out to the "dead men" they often walked backwards and it was easy to step on one. The few times I helped do that I walked SIDEWAYS. A bite can ruin your day.

Well after losing our little Border Collie, Mahina, a few weeks ago to a rattler in our back yard, and our old cat, Jose, a couple years ago, I'm thinking I may end my long moratorium on killing Joe No Shoulders... Fact is, I'm thinking war! ... So I'll be packing my S&W Model 64 loaded 6 with snake shot and my Rugers LCP 380, 9mm and 45 ACP for other unwelcomed visitors in the patch ... If nothing else, halling all that weight will get me back in shape!!! B) ... Cheers, Unc

I have not seen a rattler yet but I in AZ in the winter months

but I do carry THE JUDGE with 410 7-1/2 shot and wear snake guards I will shoot anything that rattles at me or strikes at my guards

I HATE SNAKES

a rattler can strike it's length and only as high as it's head is at the start of the strike they cann't go up

am I correct in that statement

Roger

I will not kneel down to stare him in the eyes as a bluff

Rob

why didnt you video you moving that rattler out of the way so you could detect and put it on your video forum

you could have shown lesson 101 how to move rattler without being bitten would have made great viewing

just another thing us rookies have to learn

I also thought rattlers sat where there is gold under them( I dont know where I got that from tho)

Roger

Archived