New GPX Model

Rob is going to hate me for starting this thread. You start rumors and then people hold off waiting for the next big thing when nobody knows when the next big thing will arrive. This thread will prove I do not.

Minelab has on average updated their PI units every couple years I got my GPX 5000 immediately in the fall of 2010 so we are sneaking up on 2-1/2 years now. True story is last June I took my GPX 5000 to Ganes Creek. When I got back, I was set to go dredging the rest of the summer. I figured two years was coming up, so why not sell that thing and get top dollar. I thought "surely a new model will be out before summer of 2013 and I will get one of those."

Seemed smart at the time but now I am wondering. I need a GPX by June and time is running out. The 5000 is selling so well, and in all honesty there is so little left to improve, that maybe Minelab is just taking a break. They long since have been competing with nobody but themselves anyway, so why bother.

I think I just set myself up. I will finally give up, break down, and get a new GPX 5000 in June. Then, and only then, will Minelab release a new model. Anyway, I was thinking about it today and laughing at myself and figured you all might as well share in the laughter!

Heck:

Just buy one from some one that gave up on detecting because its too hard and thier not getting rich.

Probably get it for the same as you sold yours for.

Tom H.

• Admin

Hey Steve,

That is always the "magic question" at this point in time when someone purchased a new GPX 5000. I just took a group of customer out this weekend, all purchased GPX 5000's. I'm sure they all through the same, I will purchase now and a new one will come out in a few months.

This is what I tell all my customers, which is the best, educated answer I can give them -

Minelab typically releases a new PI every 2-3 years. Minelab will also release and field test a new PI in Australia. That being said, the moment someone is field testing in Australia (normally their winter) the word will leak out, making it first to the Australian prospecting forums. Once the word hit there, it's just a matter of time until it gets posted on all the US prospecting forums. This is normally the best indicator that a new unit is 3-6 months away from a release.

I have yet to hear or read anything solid about a new detector being tested, so my guess is we won't see anything real soon.

Australia's winter is our Summer, so I could see potentially Minelab releasing something around June/July of this year.

On another note, rumors are Minelab might be making a PI gold detector that has the look and weight of a CTX. The major concern I see about this is the CTX has had a lot of bugs from what I have read and heard, so it could be a concern to have the newest of a new design.

Just my thoughts, maybe I'm way off base or right on track! :huh:

I think I just set myself up. I will finally give up, break down, and get a new GPX 5000 in June. Then, and only then, will Minelab release a new model. Anyway, I was thinking about it today and laughing at myself and figured you all might as well share in the laughter!

I decided not to by a ML 5000 last season in Aust. and went with the old m/c (machine). This year I will not go at all unless the new m/c is released, for the Aust. winter season. Most of us oldtimers think that ML will miss the boat, if they don't release a break through Detector very soon.

Rob replied

Australia's winter is our Summer, so I could see potentially Minelab releasing something around June/July of this year.

Did you say you will be buying in June not july :(

• Admin

Hey Guys,

It's always the impression that Minelab dealers might know something, but that is not the case. Like anything, Minelab wants us to purchase all the older stuff, so it would only make sense for them to tell us at the very last minute. This allows us to order right up until that point. I know another dealer on here that had a similar deal. Maybe they might say something about it.

We will see if something new is going to roll out, but I'm not holding my breath. Until then, the Minelab GPX 5000's are selling like hotcakes still.

Hotcakes are right with at least 2 "rushes" still on, far east Russia and South Africa are accounting for most of my sales now (coils n stuff)

Also the coin/relic/treasure hunters in England, Europe and Asia are buying the PI's and big coils.

I think an enclosure like the CTX 3030 and /or F3/UXO mine detectors would sell. Folks want batteries on board and a speaker. I would like more buttons on the hand grip, like the ability to switch through the timings.

Even a tiny improvement is good …….. We all know inches are miles in detecting.

But there is still a lot to be said for the shear power and industrial rugged, proven design of the current ML PI's.

Or we can always wait for Woody's UD or the infamous QED to hit the market and send ML to the rubbish bin. :)

People would be amazed at how many times dealers find out about things on the internet and from customers before getting told by a supplier.

My CTX is one of my favorite detectors in some time. No bugs in mine. I think for every person with a problem on the internet there are a thousand with no problems. I am a easy sale for a GPX in a CTX housing.

and in all honesty there is so little left to improve

Steve , Im sure thousands of people have made that very statement after the release of the SD2000, SD2100, SD2200, GP3000,GP3500, etc. There is always room to improve any electronic piece of equipment, history has proven that.

• 8 months later...

Steve , Im sure thousands of people have made that very statement after the release of the SD2000, SD2100, SD2200, GP3000,GP3500, etc. There is always room to improve any electronic piece of equipment, history has proven that.

Well, actually, as somebody deeply involved in detecting for 40 years I always saw room for improvement in the previous Minelab models. I am not talking physical design - that is a whole different subject. I mean how the detector actually works and performs electronically.

For me it is all about getting a clean, stable threshold with nothing that interferes with hearing an actual signal from a target. The SD and early GP models all suffered from the "Minelab warble" and that alone needed improving. The other issue of course was ground and hot rock signals. The GPX 5000 in almost all cases I can get set clean to the point it is better than most of my VLF detectors. The only remaining problem in that regard is EMI, but I do not think you can build a detector to receive the faintest gold signal without allowing at least some EMI to break through. In other words, block all signals from lightning within 100 miles and you probably black the gold signal also.

I do think detectors can and will be improved on in general. I also know however that in any given model there are limitations imposed by the underlying technology employed. The GPX has refined the underlying technology to the point where I think it will take another leap to something different to get any real improvement. I get hints and dribbles from all the manufacturers leading me to believe there are indeed other ways to approach metal detecting than the ones now currently being employed that hold promise, especially with the advent of superior battery power supplies and microprocessor processing. Someday we will see another break with the past that holds new promise.

For me it will take a detector that can clearly find a large nugget deeper than a SD/GP series detector. One that can clearly hit a 1 oz nugget deeper with no questions asked. The difference in that regard between the various Minelab models is so small people still argue about it. I have no real problems with small gold. But if there is a 1 oz plus nugget or larger out there deeper than current Minelabs can possibly go it would be nice to have something that can go there. If that detector ignored small surface stuff in the process I am fine with that!

All of which is just idle chatter. All I do know is I did get that other GPX 5000 and I am sitting firm with it until some true alternative really develops. Frankly, I am not holding my breath. My detector collection seems to be settling down and these days all that really matters is making time to get out and prospect, not getting some new whiz bang detector to do it with. I am content that I can find gold and find it well with the technology I currently have at my disposal.

Hey Steve as always very interesting to read your thoughts on detector related subjects. Out of curiosity do you notice much of a difference between the 5000 you had on loan here in Australia and the one you plumbed for this past season? I've found the GPX 5000s to be pretty consistent across the board from unit to unit no matter the build time but have not tried any later units from the current manufacture dates.

The Holy Grail of detectors is something I will always wish for, I found out a long time ago when testing detectors and giving feedback that the detector I was testing is a "world wide" detector not a "Jonathan Porter" detector, kind of put me in my place but also highlighted the myriad of variables Minelab have to navigate through to satisfy everyone who is going to be using the detectors.

JP

Steve, totally agree with you! The GPX models run a smooth threshold in most all soils/bedrock conditions over the older GP series. I swing the oldest GPX model, it may miss a few dinks compared to the newer models? But depth with all the GP/ GPX models to me is the same in mild ground...I too, will upgrade when new technology goes just one inch deeper! And inch is a mile, until our next hunt!

LuckyLundy

Having used a brand new GPX4500 and a old gp3000 I can say (for me) that there is no difference. Actually the only difference I noticed Is that the 4500 was junk. It broke three different times. Now I use the gp3000. Solid machine, finds everything. I would like to see some useful features in a new machine. I wasn't sold on the 5000. A New GPX needs the basics, LCD screen, water proof, more compact cleaner design. Then add the ability to programming targets (.22 shells) into the machine so the unit can avoid the that type of trash. Also a MUST have is the ability to recognize two targets at once. I would like the LCD to tell me there is a second target under that rusty nail. If the new detector has just a few of those upgrades I might upgrade.

After Robert buys one and I test it :)

For me it will take a detector that can clearly find a large nugget deeper than a SD/GP series detector. One that can clearly hit a 1 oz nugget deeper with no questions asked. The difference in that regard between the various Minelab models is so small people still argue about it. I have no real problems with small gold. But if there is a 1 oz plus nugget or larger out there deeper than current Minelabs can possibly go it would be nice to have something that can go there. If that detector ignored small surface stuff in the process I am fine with that!

Very well said. The smal stuff im fine with right now. I would like added depth on large nugs. Its great finding gold but I dont like the idea of digging 14inch deep BB's all day. I dont like digging them right now!

......... would like to see some useful features in a new machine. I wasn't sold on the 5000. A New GPX needs the basics, LCD screen, water proof, more compact cleaner design. Then add the ability to programming targets (.22 shells) into the machine so the unit can avoid the that type of trash. Also a MUST have is the ability to recognize two targets at once. I would like the LCD to tell me there is a second target under that rusty nail. If the new detector has just a few of those upgrades I might upgrade.

After Robert buys one and I test it :)

You just described the CTX3030.....

JP

• 2 weeks later...

It's seems like the GPX5000 just put a fine gold timing that had a selling point of finding smaller gold. I'd like to see deeper, and away to handle EMI! Be nice to detect next to electric fences and power lines. Rudy, I like the waterproof idea too! The only way to get deeper is running more quiet, and add some more juice to the unit. I think that is a teeter totter Minelab is trying to balance

Hi JP,

You took the words out of my mouth.

Also I do think the 5000 represents a genuine step forward from the 4500.

The difference in threshold stability in all sorts of weird ground, in my opinion, is clearly better.

I also like to make the settings "ragged." Push the sensitivity slightly past where it is stable

and if you can stand to listen to the instability, I feel it opens a touch more possibility for hearing a nugget.

these comments of course are opinion only,

All the best,