You don't want to miss this - Be one of the first ! (FREE CONTEST, READ)

I love to post things on Rob's forum that are a surprise even to him!

Oh man, what Trevor at COILTEK has advised me is that he is sending two of the brand new GoldStalker line of coils to me that have not as yet been released!

A new 18 inch and a 16 inch round coil.

Let's have a little contest to see who gets to be the proud new owners/testers of these SUPER SECRET, (Whoops! guess I can scratch that SECRET PART) coils.

Between now and September 15th, you must post your most interesting story about a nugget you found using a Coiltek coil. You must also show use a picture of gold you have found sitting on top of your Coiltek coil. Preferably we would like to see the nugget that goes with the story you write. Your entry constitutes an agreement that COILTEK / DOC / ROB can use your story and pictures for promotional purposes.

Rob and Doc and Trevor will, at their sole discretion, determine the first and second place winners. First place winner will get first choice of either the new 18 inch coil or the 16 inch coil. The runner-up will win the remaining coil.

1. The entries will be judged on the quality of the writing and the interest it generates, we will not count off for spelling. Tell us the story of your most interesting experience using your Coiltek coil. You do not need to be specific about where it was found, you can say, it was in Northern California, or Rye Patch. But we would like you to explain in detail the conditions under which you found the nugget. ie "This was a very narrow wash that ran at about a 15 degree slope up the hill between two ridges. The side of the ridge on the West side was covered with decomposed quartz, and further up the gully I discovered signs of hand-stacking. The east side of the ridge had numerous contact zones of quartz and granite schist, and very red dirt ........... " In other words try to paint a picture of conditions so your story will be educational as well as informative and entertaining.

2. Quality of the picture(s) submitted, how well it showcases the Coiltek coil and your gold, and of course if the gold is actually the piece(s) that was/were found in the story, that will be given extra consideration.

You must attest to the fact that the story is true and accurate and that the gold you are showing was actually found with a Coiltek coil by you! You are on your honor here guys.

No taking a 1 gram nugget, blowing it up to make it look like a 4 ounce nugget and photoshopping it in on top of a Coiltek coil. :rolleyes: I mean not unless you label it as such. "This is me holding a nugget I made to look like an alligator using Adobe Illustrator." :wacko:

Imagine being the owner of a brand new coil, not as yet released, and being the only one who can go and use it on your old patches before anyone else gets a chance.

So get busy! Too hot to go detecting anyway!

BCOT!

Doc

• Admin

Hey Doc,

Heard great things about these new Lightweight Round Searchcoils. I'm excited to get my hands on one of the first to hit the US.

Any chance I can get in on this contest? :rolleyes: I've found thousands of gold nuggets with Coiltek searchcoils since they first came out. Coiltek is without a doubt the best searchcoil manufacture out there.

Hope to read some great stories and see some awesome Coiltek finds!

Rob Allison

Heres my story, We hit a patch up here in Mariposa, rob had sent me a prototype Platypus to test, as it was winter and raining, and since the platypus is 100% waterproof, I got the chance to use it, Now Rob and DOC both have been to this patch, and theres plenty of handstaking and its a place where they had ground sluiced before. I knew there was gold there, they did not get it all, no one does,. Not even me, and I'm good, I;ll beat a patch to death, before I give up. Well this place is full of Mansineta brush and really a hard place to detect. But the Platypus was just running stable and singing along, Bam! The very first target was a really nice nugget, A few minutes later, another, and then some old trash, some 44 henery caseings and a little lead. It was a great day. And it proved once again Coiltek hit the mark. The Platypus is the #1 selling coil here now. Not hype. But the pure truth. Here the pictures to prove it, and the ground is some of the worse minerarlised ground in the country. As Rob can atest. it hot. Lots of hand stakings and RED dirt, along with many hot rocks. I still think that Coiltek Was right on when they made this coil. My favorite. Grubstake

All the nuggets pictured were found with my #1 coil the COILTEK Platypus. here in Mariposa Ca. By me. Gary Baldridge AKA Grubstake

There I was standing on the side of a hill, holding a beautiful nugget thinking Finally!

Let me back up a little. My dad and I had been going out to this area here in Southern California for over a year and with not really much luck, sure we would get one here or there, seemingly just enough to keep us coming back the following weekend. Well after the last trip we said to each other with frustration we aren't coming here again, it had been nearly no nuggets in over 6 weekends of trying and we were done with this place for sure.

The following weekend I purchased a GPX-4500 from Rob Allison in Arizona. Along with the purchase among many other items he threw in a Coiltek Goldstalker 12x18.5-inch elliptical mono.

I said to myself, well I am going to give this place one more try. I was so excited about the new detector, this place was close to home and Had to to hear the hum of the new machine. Gold, bullets I didn't care.

So I packed all the gear up and rolled out early in the morning. Driving up the dirt road with multi ounce nuggets on my mind and thinking this should be easy..... wait.... wait.... wait.... What am I thinking, I need to get more realistic about things. So I decide I had better just use a small coil if I am going to have any luck at all because just about every nugget we have ever found out there was pretty small. I found a nice shade tree and parked under it. I got all my gear together and head up the tree lined wash that leads to the hill where we had found a couple of small nuggets about four months earlier.

I get the 4500 fired up and start swinging with my small coil, working up and down, side to side repeatedly on this decomposing caliche infested hillside.

After about 8 hours and finding a few bullets here and there I was getting burned out on this little patch.

I looked up with frustration at the steep hillside with the sun going down and the shadows stretching out off the jagged three foot Caliche layer overhang about fifty feet above me. I say to myself, well I can't do any worse than I am now so I am going to try out this Coiltek Goldstalker I got from Rob.

I hike back to the Jeep and chuck up the big coil. Up the wash and hillside I go, and start swinging admittedly half-hearted not expecting much. I start at the bottom of the slope more or less to try the new coil out and surprisingly it was extremely quiet, much more so than the smaller coil I had on earlier. What a confidence booster! Dead quiet threshold on a side of a hill, this was unheard of in this area with the EMI problems . I said to myself ok, don't get too excited, let's see if will pick up anything so I threw down my test nugget and was not disappointed. But as we all know an air test does not prove a coils worth. So I start working the hillside again and within ten minutes I get a signal, followed by an increasing thud thud thud of my heart, I start digging, 3 inches, 6 inches, then 8 inches. The soil getting denser and harder with every scrape of my pick. I am really getting excited, the detector is screaming to overload with every pass into the hole. I put the pick down and start digging with my little hand scoop so as to not damage the nugget. At about 10 inches down I see the bright gleam of gold in the dark moist dirt.

WooHooooo

Finally!!! After all these months. All thanks to this wonderfully sensitive and light coil by Coiltek.

I thought for sure by the depth and how loud the signal was from the surface it had to be at least an ounce. But it really wasn't all that big, just over 2 dwt. I had been over this same spot earlier in the day with another coil. Just goes to show how sensitive the coil was on that hillside.

Here is the pic of the little guy. If you need more pics just send me a message.

post-4951-1220229459_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading, DigDeep

Forgot to mention that the judges get a FREE coil too, for their judging services. :rolleyes:

BCOT!

Doc

Hey Doc,

Heard great things about these new Lightweight Round Searchcoils. I'm excited to get my hands on one of the first to hit the US.

Any chance I can get in on this contest? :rolleyes: I've found thousands of gold nuggets with Coiltek searchcoils since they first came out. Coiltek is without a doubt the best searchcoil manufacture out there.

Hope to read some great stories and see some awesome Coiltek finds!

Rob Allison

• Admin

Hey Doc, Trev and All,

Judges get a FREE coil also! :wub: I've been waiting for Coiltek to make a lightweight round mono for a long time. I'm very excited to see what these coils will turn up in some old patches.

Also, about a dozen or so guys have contacted me about this FREE coil giveaway. However, I told them they need to get to writing a short story and show some of those Coiltek finds. Right now only a couple of guys have written short stories, so that's a 50/50 chance. I know it will be just a matter of time until more stories and pictures come rolling in.

The new Goldstalker ellipticals are selling very ... very well. Can't wait to get a hold of those new rounds. :D

Take care,

Rob Allison

THE NEWBE NUGET HUNTER

It all started in the early 90s when I picked up my first detector a Lobo. At the time my wife and I had two

small girls and a boy on the way. We tried looking for gold a few times,

but the desert thing was just not good for two young girls and my grumpy ol' lady.

So off to the schools we went. We had a blast. while the kids played on the swings,

I looked for all the things that kids bring from home just to lose at school.

You know what I mean change, rings,etc.all the time thinking of nugget hunting.

Now them two little girls are all grown up and have little girls of their own.

So in March 08 I put up for sell my explore SE and started to look real hard for

a Mine lab PI. I know from past experience you must have the right tools to do the job.

So to the Internet, I looked and there I found a lot of info and one of them being

Robs Detector. Rob sales metal detectors right here in Arizona. After going to his web Page

I seen that he had a great deal for a GPX 4000, Coiltek coil, amp and some field

instruction. I then gave Rob a call to let him know what I wanted.(don't forget

I did my homework). So I stopped by to meet Rob. What a guy. He knows a lot about this nugget

hunting. He spends a lot of his spare time helping friends and customers

with their nugget Hunting.

Well after a few weeks I called Rob to let him know I joined the 24kt Club

and would he meet up with me there. Of course we set a date. I arrived well before

sun up I just couldn't sit and wait no longer as the sun was coming up I got ready. I

Then went for a walk. A short time later I was in some small boulders that was on some flat ground

I then fired up the 4000 It could not of been ten minutes and I got a signal.

I just knew it was a piece of iron or lead. This was so close to the road that

You know many have all ready been here before and know no one leaves any gold behind.

Thank God I decided to dig. The ground was a bit red and hard. I removed about

1-2 inches of dirt and the signal was still there. I dug some more the ground then

turned to a real red clay substances. I removed 2-3 more inches and O'my Lord it's gold.

I tell you there are no words that I could say. I got out my cell phone its 530 am to

call my not so grumpy lady these days to tell her I found gold. She said I sounded like

a little kid who just found a piece of candy in the middle of the desert. and she is going back to sleep Maybe I

I did sound like that but to me this little 1.7 gram nugget was like some old timer

finding a 6 oz nugget today. You just can't beat that feeling.

Well a little bit later here comes Rob on his day off to give me a hand.

I let him know I had already found a nugget.As if he couldn't already tell

by the look on my face. We talked for awhile and he had gave me a few pointers

and on his way he went. For it was his day off and I had already found some gold.

I had spent the rest of the day talking with other 24kt members and to find out what

pushes I wanted to hunt on the up coming push. well the push did not go to well for me.

I found no gold, But other did.

I decided to go back a few weeks later and got a little away from were the push was.

I was working a area where you would see dig hole after dig hole this area had been worked

for some time. Then I got a signal it was a very soft signal. I did the boot shuffle

to remove the top layer about 1/2 inch. The signal was still there and stronger.

I had dug a few inches and there it was a piece of wire. For some reason I ran the coiltek

back over the hole and there was still a signal but a lot stronger. I dug down 4-5 more

inches and there she was a 2.5 gram nugget. I had found gold again.

This goes to show you with the right tools you can still find gold where others

are crying that there is no gold in that area to be found. I have since purchased a joey

coil and a gold stalker 18 inch to go along with the already proven platypus.

All of these coils and amp are the right tools to have to find the nuggets every one else leaves behind.

Good luck everyone

Lon

P.S. re-check them holes you never know thanks ROB , Doc post-14096-1220478881_thumb.jpg

I made a seperate post for my short story with pictures. Please check it out and add your comments!

Cheers,

matt

Here is the story version, minus the pictures -

The Pyramid Nugget

The whole week had been rainy and the ground was extremely saturated. The seasonal creeks that flow through this area were running hard and that would limit my hunt the benches above the creeks where they once flowed a long time ago. I previously had some luck finding nuggets in the area.

This area is an old mining camp that the old timers had ground sluiced back during the California gold rush. I know that the prospecting in this area dates back a long time because on occasion I dig up old Chinese coins. I don’t know how old the coins are because I can’t read Chinese. Square nails are in abundance and almost every prospecting trip I take to this spot produces at least one musket ball. Prospectors have hammered the ground sluice areas with metal detectors over the years. Nuggets are not jumping out of the ground, but with a little determination, patience, perseverance, and confidence it is possible to go home with a dink or even a nugget. Swinging slow, low, and really paying attention are the keys to success.

For a few weeks prior to my afternoon outing, I was reading on Nuggethunting.com Forum that Rob had been having really good success with the Coiltek Wallaby DD coil. Back then, I was swinging a Minelab GP3000 and stuck pretty much to the DD coils, mainly the stock Minelab 11†round DD coil or the Joey DD. I decided it was time to break out the money and buy a Wallaby DD coil. I know the big gold is down deeper and if I wanted the big gold, I needed the right tool for the job. In fact, I found a nice two-pennyweight nugget with the Wallaby the first time out with it in a hammered patch. That nugget was around a foot deep and made the purchase of the coil worthwhile to me the first trip out.

I would only have a couple hours to hunt and it would be my second time out using my new Wallaby coil. By the time I arrived at the patch it was almost 2:00PM. Since it was the middle of winter, the days were short and the sun goes down fast. I was detecting some ground in an area I had pulled some nuggets from in the past and was not having any success, not even digging any trash targets. After hunting at most a couple of hours, there was nothing in my poke. I hoped my detector would pick up a target at depth using the new larger size coil, but I struck out.

I headed back to my truck to take off my detecting gear. I sat on the tailgate of my truck and cracked an ice-cold beer. Looking around I thought to myself “why the hell am I sitting here drinking a beer, wasting my time. I could be swinging the detector till dark.†Visually scanning the area where I was parked, I could see quartz all over the place lying on top of the mineralized soil. Piles of hand-stacked quartz cobbles were scattered here and there. Why not give this immediate spot a try? Why had I not detected here before? I put my detecting gear back on and started to detect the area right where I was parked. It was a small area that would not take long to detect. I was determined not to leave empty handed. Trash was not in abundance in this location the way it usually is at old mining locations. Had the trash been removed by prospectors prior to me using detectors?

I made my way up a small trough that was so narrow I could barely swing this big coil side to side. The sweet spot on DD coils is in the center of the coil and I wondered how much ground coverage I was getting with such short side-to-side swings. The trough looked like the old-timers had worked this ground hard, right down into a massive bedrock crevice. Schist type bedrock was exposed on both sides of the excavation for it’s entire 20’ length. Stacked quartz cobbles lined the ground above both sides above the trough. It appeared as though loose material had sloughed in over the years. It was hard to tell how deep the bedrock was in the gut. Detecting up the trough, not even five feet up it, I heard a faint warble in the threshold. Unsure if it was a target or ground noise, I scratched the grass off the ground with the broad side of my pick and created roughly an 18†circle of bare soil. I like to use a pick with a broader size backside for scraping the soil surface and scooping the material out a deep hole. I re-checked the bald spot with my coil and the target was still there, still just barely audible.

I started to give that ground hell. My pick ripped through the quartz cobble laced clayey soil to a depth of about a foot. This clay-type mud is difficult to dig in because it sticks to the pick and everything it touches. The mud is so sticky that it has to be banged off the pick head after each swing and scoop. Placing a cobble next to the hole to bang against helps to rid the sticky mud from the pick. I stuck the Wallaby down in the excavation and got a really nice sounding target. The target was quite a bit louder now that I was closer to it. Back to digging I went, but digging got more difficult the deeper the target got. Water was seeping through the walls of the hole and the hole was rapidly filling up. I had to enlarge the diameter of the hole because it was hard to get the big coil down to the bottom as close to the target as I could get it. It was hard to justify submerging a new coil under water, but I had no choice. There could be a nugget at the bottom of the hole. At around 18†deep, I scooped out as much of the muddy, gooey water as I could and stuck my coil down in the hole only to get the dreaded blanking sound. The blanking sound is the target response that a Minelab GP series detector gives when the target is likely to be iron. I was devastated to say the least. I scraped and picked around the hole a little more, checked the target again, and got the same results. More blanking.

I went back to my truck and sat down to finish my beer. Again, I sat drinking that beer and I started thinking about going back over to fill in the hole. What a drag. I was covered in mud and the fog was starting to roll in. Something in the back of my mind was telling me to get that target out of the hole. You never know what the target is until it is actually in your hand. I did not want to go home wondering why I did not dig up this target. I changed coils to the Coiltek Joey DD and went back to the hole. The Joey coil would fit perfect without enlarging the diameter of the hole any more.

When I looked in the hole, it was almost filled entirely with water. After getting as much of the water out that I possibly could, I checked the target with the Joey. To my surprise, there was no blanking. The target just screamed on that Joey coil! The kind of scream that sounds good. The hole was deep. I could not even get my pick down in the bottom of the hole to dig any more. I took out a plastic treasure scoop and went to work. I was reaching deep down into that hole. It felt like I was almost up to my shoulder, scraping the bottom of the hole to loosen up the material and scooping out as much material as I could. Each scoop was half water and half of the clay type mud with a little quartz cobble in it. As I was lifting out a scoop of material, water was draining off the top of the scoop as it rose from the depths and I started to see GOLD!

I grabbed the big gold nugget and ran down to the creek to wash it off. It was covered with that sticky clay. At first I thought the gold nugget was solid because all I could see was gold and it was heavy, but as the water cleaned off the clay I began to see white quartz rock. The gold nugget specimen is the shape of a triangle or more like a golden pyramid. The gold showing is the brightest that I have ever seen come straight out of the ground. The total weight is 42.4 pennyweight or a little over 2 ounces. By specific gravity test, the gold nugget specimen has roughly 1.5+ ounces of gold locked inside the rock.

Since that day, I have never left a target in the ground that I start digging on. I have returned to every suspect target I didn’t finish digging in the past hoping for the same results. None have turned out to be gold nuggets, but I learned the biggest lesson in detecting for gold that day. Dig every target. If you don’t you will be leaving gold in the ground. I re-checked the hole in hopes there may be more nuggets. There was no target response in the hole or the pile of mud. I happily filled in the hole and went home with a big grin on my grill. That was a day that I will never forget.

Guest goldstudmuffin

Thanks Doc and Trevor for the Coiltek coil contest. I just spent a week in Montana metal detecting and a friend that lives up there offered to let me try his new GPX 4500, with a new 16" Coiltek elliptical Goldstalker coil. I used it about 3 hours and I was very impressed with how quiet it ran and I couldn't believe how lightweight and extremely sensitive it was.

Coiltek is a leader in the field and they did a great job with the Goldstalker series coils. My Brother and I own several Coiltek coils and have found gold with all of them, from the "joey" to the UFO to the 24" round. They have performed excellently and are very durable, and we have never had any problems with them. It's good to see Coiltek is on the cutting edge again - manufacturing quality products.

IMG_0287.jpg

The thing I like best about Coiltek coils is that they find gold or at least they have for us. I should also say I think Coiltek has the best warranty in the industry on all their products, I think Doc has even warranteed some stuff that was out of warranty or was damaged by the user. That's just the way Doc is!!!

18 OUNCE WASH STORY!

About 5 years ago we decided to do some prospecting in a mountain range that has little or no written history of any placer gold. The area is in the lower deserts of Arizona. We were following up on a lead from a friend who had told us about an old lost and long forgotten placer area. So we got some directions from him and off we went. It took a about an hour of driving once we left the black top. When we finally got close to the lost placer area, we found what looked liked an old road. As we made our way in we had to cut some branches to make room for the truck to stay on the old road. We finally found the area where the old timers had lived in an old collapsed shack, and there were old model T car parts left behind. (It's very unusual to find old car body parts that aren't shot full of holes, these didn't have any bullet holes - evidence that no one had been there in many years.) We immediately started finding old drywash piles and a few bulldozer pushes. As we walked along the main wash that drained this part of the mountains, we started finding hand stacked rocks and old screen piles, and other evidences of placering. We went back to the truck to get our SD 2100's, both fitted with Coiltek coils, a 17" wallaby mono and a 14" round mono.

It was already late afternoon when we started metal detecting, the wash was about 6 to 8 feet wide at the point we entered it and the banks were about 15 feet high. We decided that I would go down stream and my Brother would go up stream. So, I walked down stream about 50 feet and started detecting. I noticed right away the wash was loaded with course black sand and my detector was giving false signals because of all the mineralization. We didn't have any DD coils with us so we changed the 2100's to channel 1, so we could at least continue detecting and maybe hear some big deep targets. Well, it wasn't 15 minutes until my brother started hollering... to come quick!!! I walked backed up the wash a short distance and there he was smiling from ear to ear! He said "hold out your hand" so I did and he drops a solid 1.5 ounce nugget my hand. He said it was the very first target he dug, it was down about 16" to 18" deep. And he had popped out his first nugget - over a ounce! We were both thinking wow... if that was the first target we must of hit the mother load!!!

In the next 3 months we used every coil and detector we had in the main wash. My Brother had found the four biggest nuggets, and I had a couple of ounces of smaller nuggets - the biggest in the half ounce range. The first nuggets found with the wallaby were; 1.5 ounces, and a 1.75 ouncer, and a 1.24 ouncer. All were found with different Coiltek coils.

About 2 weeks later the biggest nugget was found with a Coiltek 18" DD, it weighed 2.34 ounces. All of the nuggets were 16" to 18" deep, but none were found on bedrock. The overburden in the wash is very deep to bedrock, and I fingered there were more gold nuggets out of range of our detectors.

So about 3 months later I ended up trading a coil and some cash for my new secret weapon... a Coiltek 24" round mono! We went back out to the patch and I started up the 2100, on ch 1, with the big 24" round mono. I slowly worked my way up the wash, listening for any faint or soft signals, when all of a sudden I got a very loud target, in the very middle of the wash, (where we had gridded it off and detected it in every direction at least 10 times, with every coil we had). I could tell it was a broad wide single - indicating a deep target. I started digging, wondering how we could have missed a target in the gut of the wash. After digging for what seemed like an eternity, the hole started to get very wide and deep, and trying to pin-point was impossible. So I pulled my little joey out of my backpack and turned off the 2100. I unplugged the 24" monster and plunged in the joey. With no lower shaft they are fantastic for pin-pointing in big deep holes. I soon had it pin-pointed, and had to dig another 8 inches deep to the target. I finally, after what must have been 30 minutes, had the target out of the hole (at a measured 21 inches, using the 24" coil as a gage for depth). I used the joey, and found the target right away on the dirt pile. I scooped up the loose dirt in my bare hand and passed it over the coil, nothing there. One more hand full and I could feel the weight of something heavy in my hand, I opened my hand and there was a big beautiful gold nugget! I yelled for my Brother to come over and I dropped the nugget in his hand. His eyes nearly popped out! (The nugget weighs 1.81 ounces.) I went back to the truck to take a break, I washed off the nugget, and I noticed it looked like a tree on the side of a hill with it's branches high in the heavens, and it's roots sunk deep in the earth... I now call it "The Tree of Life Nugget". It reminds me to keep a balance in my life - between heaven and earth! Just as the tree is balanced on the hill side, it reminds me to keep a balance in my life.

AzChevron.jpg

Can you see the tree of life on the 1.81 ouncer?

coiltek5.jpg

A close up on the scanner with a joey coil

Five years later we invited a few trusted friends into the patch and a few more ounces of gold were been found.

Then there's another story about 6 ounce wash, but we'll save that for another day! We have found hundreds of nuggets, and there's a story behind each and every one!

IMG_0308.jpg

russ.jpg

Workin' the big 24 in round mono. Photo courtesy of Rob A.

Docandclan.jpg

Somewhere in the Arizona desert. Photo courtesy of Rob A.

DON'T YOU JUST LOVE IT WHEN YOU'RE WRONG

First off, since this contest is for those in the USA and not Oz, if the judge thought this story somehow good enough to win, I would like to donate the coil of his choice to Grubstake. I reckon he and his family have been going through a bit of a rough trot lately and I am sure he would provide it with a good home as well as providing the rest of us with plenty of feedback on its performance.

Now back to my story.

I have a little spot only about thirty minutes from home that I often go to if I need to do a little detector meditating :P This is in fact the place I found my very first nugget (long long ago).

I know I can almost always find a few bits here but as you can see by the photo, they are always veeeery tiny. Anyway, they are fun to find and it keeps the skills finely honed :ph34r:

P1030469.jpg

Biggest piece on the scale, the one at the bottom that looks like a bit of wire, only weighs 1.2 gms and the two flakes either side of it won't register on the scale on their own

Well another weekend rolled around and as my mate was tied up with honey do jobs, I thought I would ask my better half if she would like to go on a picnic :wub:. Low and behold, she suggested that maybe I should take the detector and she would take her camera (photography is sort of more her thing). In fact, here is one of her shots of the easter bunny in camo :lol:

Picture003.jpg

After arriving at the spot and then having our nicely prepared lunch we both decided to wander off and do our own thing. After only about 10 minutes I had my first little piece (.8 gms -_- ) on the side of a very steep hill. Didn't seem to be anything else here so I thought I'd walk-slide down this hill, cross the lantana infested gully and checkout the next hillside. I had never really paid much attention to this gully before because it was filled with gravelly sand and debris with bedrock at least a meter deep. Since ALL of the nuggets in the area were small, I KNEW I would be wasting my time.

Off I go pushing through lantana halfheartedly swinging the my little 11" DD PRO coil ahead of me purely by habit as well as giving any slippery sticks something to strike at before the rest of me stepped on them. (I like to use this small DD in this area because the gound is extremely hot and there are a lot of sticks, rocks and grass to push through. I have found gold at some amazing depths with this coil and although I love large monos I think many foolishly overlook the cababilities of this little beauty.)

In an instant the steady hum coming out of my external speaker screamed into overload. #%& :girl: rubbish, I thought as I kept walking. After about 10 more steps of wondering if it was a horse shoe or whatever and remembering the glowing looks of appreciation from my wife when I gave her an old set of hobbles I had dug up (she likes that old junk), I turned around and retraced my steps. After easily relocating the general area of the blaring target, I proceeded to uncarefully sink my pick into the soft sandy gravel and then raked out a large pile of same and rechecked the hole - no signal, checked pile - blaring signal! Soooo, I started to rake through the damp sand looking for that tell tale rusty colored stain that iron leaves and casually tossing handfulls of gravel over the top of my coil when suddenly off went the detector. Quickly looking at where the last handful had landed I could see 2 or 3 pieces of coarse gravel but nothing that looked like a bit of rubbish. Reaching over and picking up the coarse bits and paying a little more attention my heart gave a little flutter as one of the muddy stones had that lovely heavy feeling. " Oh, don't be stupid. You know there are only small nuggets here and gold would never be in the top 15cm of a meter of gravel." One quick wipe between the fingers revealed a 40 grammer in all its glory :wacko: Love it when I'm wrong :blush:

Goldoncoil.jpg

DSC03612.jpg

P1030467.jpg

Needless to say the rest of the day was spent checking the whole gully, lantana and all, as well as the adjacent hillside with no more luck.

Back the next day with my mate (who after seeing the 40 grammer) managed to somehow get all his commitments out of the way . We covered a vast area with 4 different coils and I managed to find another little patch(?) in a completely different area.

P1030466.jpg

Yep, 3 bits for a little over a gram. No decent nuggets around here. I knew I was right :angry:

Frank

3/28/2008, MY EXTRA SPECIAL BIRTHDAY

A couple of my hunting partners had decided to play hookey from work without me on Monday and try to get to a creek location and see what the high water may have uncovered. After several hours of trail clearing, they gave up and decided to hunt a ravine, down the ridge and more to the east where some gold had been found in the past. All toll, 3 guys, 2 1/2 hours of hunting produced about ¾ oz of gold, a really good day. When they got home, they called me and told me all about the day. Of course, there were visions of grandeur, new patch and lots-o-gold. They were making plans of returning on Friday because we have Fridays off. Now, I usually do my household chores on Friday leaving Saturday open to play and Sunday to rest, so after some debate, I conceded and decided to go on Friday and do my chores on Saturday. Another thing about this Friday is that it would be my 55th birthday. I had been thinking about pulling out the senior card at breakfast but have you ever seen the Senior Menu? I passed on that and had a regular breakfast, not mentioning anything about it being my birthday.

As we had breakfast, I got so look at all the gold that had been found on Monday and it was really getting my motor revved up, I could hardly wait to get there. Soon we were parked and now came the normal climb, down hill about a ½ mile, through poison oak, manzanita, loose rocks and pine needles. After a short bit, the ravine opened up into a nice little bench of bedrock. I stopped to take in the view and noticed a few dig spots. I asked my partners what's up, this looks like a good spot. They replied that there was a bit of gold found there and I could have the spot if I wanted it. I don’t think they even slowed down and they hastened on down to where they wanted to go.

Well, I turned my trusty GP Extreme with my fairly new Wallaby MONO coil on the end and right away I got a target, right at the top of a 2-foot waterfall where most of the area above was drained. It was a nail. Well, the next target was just to the right of the nail. I noticed my first nugget gleaming in the sun as I scraped off about 1/2 inch of loose dirt with my foot. As I recovered the nugget, I yelled down the canyon to my partners and told them of my find knowing that it would really get them stirred up, we have only been here 2 minutes and already pulling out nuggets, man what a place. I took off all my gear and got ready to seriously abuse some bedrock. I dug and raked for another hour, recovering only trash. My partners down the way were in the same boat, nothing but trash. After a short break, I put my gear on and started working up the hill a bit finishing off the bedrock area before I moved on the sides of the canyon. About 20 minutes later, I snagged a small buck shot size nugget in a 4-inch deep pocket of the bedrock, under a manzanita bush of course. I knew that as I sang out with this find, it would drive my partner’s nuts, as they have found no gold yet. It did and within 10 minutes, one was heading on down the canyon and the other was heading up, towards me. It wasn’t long before his machine was interfering with mine so I shut down and took a break. As he was working his way up, I was surveying the area, and pointed out a good-looking spot to him. I could tell his mind was racing, he needed a gold fix bad. Well, like a man possessed, he flew right on by, working his way up the canyon. After he had gone on and got out of range, I turned on my machine and started to hunt the area I pointed out and after about 15 minutes, I picked up my biggest nugget of the day, next to a tree at about 6 inches deep.

Well, there was no more gold found that day and as we were climbing out and all the way back to town, my partners were gritching about me finding all of the gold and how they were not going to invite me anymore, whaa, whaa, whaa. I calmly sat in the back seat, crossed my arms and softly stated, “SOMETIMES ITS GOOD TO BE MEâ€, just a little salt in the wounds. Well, when we got back to town, it was late and we decided to get a bite to eat and you will never guess what I got in my change, a 1953 wheat back penny, the year I was born.

You know, it just does not get any better, 3 nuggets, putting the skunk on your partners and getting a collectors coin to boot, all on your 55th Birthday.

Micheal

Anonymous #1 Entry - Posted on behalf of Anonymous Prospector

The day started off with the long hike up a well-mined ravine that me and a number of other nugget shooters had pounded to death in the past. I thought to myself It has been a long time since I had found a nice piece of gold in this area maybe my new Gold stalker 12x18.5 coil would give me the edge I was looking for.

After my buddy and I took the long break we needed, it was time to get busy finding some gold. So I got up and turned on my GPX 4000 and headed down the hill to start detecting. As I was swinging along, I got my first hit, a screaming loud target that I figured was a piece of trash. To my amazement it turn out to be a 3/4 ounce solid nugget! I thought for sure there would be more to find in this area but that wasn't the case after a lot of trash and no more gold. I called my hunting partner on the radio to see if he had found anything. He had found one and asked me if I wanted to take a break and come over and see it. I said sure, that I would be right over. I decided to detect my way over to where he was and on my way I got a loud clear signal in a pile of hand stacked rocks. As I dug the target, it was getting louder every time I checked the hole.I was down about 30 inches and I was getting tired of digging. When I went to grab my detector to check the hole, I saw it!

Could that be gold, ran through my mind. You couldn't see gold, but the shape of the rock didn't look right. I picked it up and immediately I knew that I had just found a huge nugget! I rubbed it a little and the gold was there. In all the excitement I left the hole and went running for my buddy, not paying attention where I was going and I ran right past him. He said where are you going? One look at me and he knew something was up! I said "look at this." He said, "you have got to be kidding me." We washed it off and it seemed to get bigger and bigger. I said lets go see if there's more, but in my bout with gold fever I couldn't find my dig hole.

After about 15 minutes I located it and we detected around it more but never found another nugget. When we got to the house we put my nuggets on the scale. The big one weighed in at 4-1/2 ounces and with the smaller one that would make my total for the day at 5-1/4 ounces. I now have so much confdence in my detector with this coil on it. It will be hard for me to ever take it off. Thank you Coiltek!

Anonymous Entry #2 - Posted on behalf of Anonymous Prospector

Don't get me wrong, I love to explore the Arizona wilderness; on foot, on a quad or I my 4X4. But I always have an ulterior motive; GOLD! This was one of hundreds of trips I’d taken with my Brother-in-Law just to see what we could see. I’m sure we both equally enjoy the scenery, finding new trails, abandoned camps and mines, Indian ruins and relics, just being out. It’s too bad my Brother-in-Law doesn't have gold fever though; it gives me one joy he doesn’t understand; the sight of placer workings.

We were in gold country, but this was just a quad ride, no detector, no pick, no shovel, not even a gold pan. The mines in the area were lode gold and copper with some silver and lead. All the reports I had seen were of disseminated or sulfide ore with no related placers. There were some placers nearby thought to be derived from epithermal veins long ago eroded away. I was on the lookout as always, but never expected to find anything significant.

We had just finished exploring the surface remains of a mining operation, complete with head frame, stamp mill, floatation tanks and cyanide leach vats. I noticed a vague trail leading away from the area through a thick growth of mesquite and cat claw trees. We eased our quads through the jumble and emerged on the bank of a small wash. The first thing I noticed was a “test pit†dug about 6 feet deep into the exposed schist bedrock about ten feet from the bank of the little wash. The trail seemed to end there so I hoped off the quad and climbed to the top of the pile next to the pit. I picked up several pieces of iron stained quartz hoping to get lucky and find some visible gold. From that vantage point I could see a series of pits running up the hillside, roughly following the wash next to me. I also noticed what looked like stacked rock on a bench of the wash a little further up the hill; Bingo! Sure enough, as I wind my way down through the ironwood and mesquite into the gut of the little wash, I see old throwout piles and drywasher header and tailings piles as far as I can see. Not one detector dig in sight. This is where I start feeling sorry for my Brother-in-Law. Here we are, miles from the known placer fields, looking at what could be an “unknown†placer. I have a knot in my stomach, having just made a potentially lucrative find, and he just sees some old rock piles. No imagination.

In the interest of fairness to my Brother-in-Law, I should tell you that this is not the first time this scenario has taken place. In fact, it happens almost every time we are out. I get wound up about a “new†spot I’ve discovered only to return and find little or no detectable gold in the area. This one will be different I tell him.

I did return a few weeks later, alone. I brought along my GP and a new to market Coiltek Wallaby DD Pro. This ground looked hot so the double D seemed to be a safe bet if I wanted to cover some ground.

As I fired up the detector and went through my ritual equipment check I had visions of giant nuggets and veins of gold just under the surface gravels. I put those thoughts aside and went to work. Starting from the edge of the first test pit working toward the wash I immediately pick up bits of iron trash and bullet fragments, another good sign that I’m the first one to detect the area. As I work my way down onto the bench I start to scan over the various piles and across the undisturbed portions of the bench. I pulled down several header piles with no luck. Still plenty of trash though. Slightly discouraged, I tell myself again and again, “this one is going to be different†as I continue to scan pile after pile.

Eventually I work my way into the wash bottom and start hitting the exposed bedrock areas. About ten feet from where I first entered the wash I got my first signal. It was loud, brash and very shallow. “Bullet†I thought to myself as I scraped away the loose gravel with my boot. “Still there†I think as I scan with the nose of the elliptical coil. I went after the “bullet†with my pick next, loosening the gravel all around the signal, then scraping out the hole with my boot again. Down around eight or nine inches, not even to bedrock and the signal has moved into the pile, not a good sign. I get the target into my plastic scoop and start the halving process until I have the target in-hand. It’s caked with dark, damp sand but has a golden color to it, Hmm. My first thought was that I was looking at a cicada larvae with it’s legs curled up under it. Same size, shape and color, but definitely not the same weight. It slowly sunk in that I was looking at a beautiful crystalline gold nugget, I was stunned.

This one is definitely going to be different.

Gold Twice Found.

It was my first time out nugget hunting as a member of the 24K Club.I'd hunted off and on over the years with a friend that had some claims then and also I was a member of two other clubs at the time.

I was really looking forward to the dozer pushes that were being made by 24K club on their claims.I could see that this is got to be the fastest and for sure the best way to get to the gold.

Well the first day that Elly open up the pushes I was there with my GP3500 in hand and my Platypus DD ready to sniff out that elusive gold nugget.When Elly started the hunt everybody turned their detectors and started swinging.It was then I was thinking whats wrong with my detector with all the interference I was getting.I was also thinking hey people I'm trying to nugget hunt here will you turn them things off until I'm finish hunting.I know it was more than one time I got a good signal and the guy next to me did also.I started to dig but he dug faster and found whatever it was but then my target went away.I don't know if this means that I should dig faster next time are what.

One day another guy and myself said bigger is better.We both came out with a bigger coil and that's when I knew what that big S on my forehead stood for.The only good side to this if you want to call it that was, I knew when the guy on the other side of the push got a signal and how good it was.

Well after everybody had left I put on the coil I like the most and that being the Wallaby Mono.You just can't beat this coil with a stick it's so sensitive to small gold.It may look like a big radar dish but it will find that elusive yellow metal.I was hunting just below the hill where the caretaker camps out in a tent on top.I was doing what all good nugget hunters do and that was swinging that coil plus making sure I was covering the ground by over lapping with the coil at the same time.I seen ahead of me on the west side of the hill that some digging had been going on and the dozer had been park there at one time also.Well I said to myself he,she may not have gotten it all so I begin to hunt.I could see that clay had drop off the tracks and it was left in a nice row on each side.The first swing I got a signal and I pulled the clay back the dozer had left but when I recheck the spot my target was gone.O'h yes your right I check the clay that was drop from the tracks and there was my target.Breaking the dirt open out pop a nice little nugget and I knew I was on a roll now.I hit paydirt again about two feet away and again it was in the clay that fell off the tracks of that dozer.That day me and that dozer was a team,it dug it up and I found it.

I know everybody is wanting know and looking through a magnifier glass I'd said at that time about 3/4 oz. but after getting back to my digital scales it had drop down to 3 grams.The first one was a gram and the other if my math is correct was two grams. I sorry guy's I just can't help myself at one time in my life I done a lot of fishing.

The moral of this story if there is one is don't kick aside are pass up any dirt left by a dozer tracks because it may hold the only gold you may find that day.

Chuck Anders

Hello. Lots of interesting stories. Thought I would add mine. First, by way of background, I am a total newbie. Just started metal detecting this spring here in far northern California. Lots of incredible gold rush history and many opportunities to go out and hunt!

I recently purchased my CoilTek GoldStalker from Chip at the Miner's Cache to go with my Minelab 4500. Decided to give the coil its maiden voyage on a very-well pounded patch located to the west of Redding. When I say well pounded, believe me that's likely an understatement. I am sure we have all looked over a patch of ground that looks like a family reunion of ground squirrels had just taken place! However, as my mentor Hoss has said over and over, no patch has been completely stripped of its treasure to the persistent hunter. Especially using newer and better equipment, such as my CoilTek 112x185. I thought I might give it a go and hope the gold gods were in a good mood that day.

The terrain found at many of the old dredge areas to the west of Redding is made up of three basic types: ground associated with high gravel ancient river systems, land associated with the current creek beds and flood plains, and upslope bedrock areas made up of meta volcanic rock. My patch fell into this third category. Not knowing the technical terms, I would describe the ground as semi-compacted red clay dirt. It is fairly hot and has scattered areas containing significant amounts of carbon remaining after eons of forest fires in the region. (Carbon can give your detector fits.) During the summers, the days can get pretty darn hot limiting detecting to the early morning hours or by the light of a full moon!

All of the pictured gold was found on this worked over patch during this first visit and a few more days hunting. I was completely stoked after finding I could recover ground I had first swept with my old Commander coil a month before, and come up with pay dirt! My finds were between 3" - 14" deep, one was actually in an old dig hole! The CoilTek is a powerful and sensitive coil that is worth the price. It is also incredibly quiet. As a beginner, I wasn't convinced that there really were bonafide performance gains to be made with a new designed coil, such as the CoilTek GoldStalker. I am now a believer!

post-20989-1221446199_thumb.jpg post-20989-1221446220_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Some great Coiltek stories so far. Hope to see some more tonight or early tomorrow to get in before the contest ends. Coiltek has done some amazing things with these new Coiltek Goldstalker Searchcoils. I'm afraid to say, but this is only the re-beginning for Coiltek once again. ;) Trev has some exciting new things coming beyond the new coils.

Thanks for sharing all the stories so far.

Rob Allison

Sorry so long....

My Dad's Nugget

Steve was busily hacking away at a stubborn Alder bush. His hungry chainsaw chewing away as he cleared a path for us, the inaugural group of “pay to mine†metal detectorist visiting the Moore Creek Mining camp in Alaska. We were on our way down stream to what we all hoped was a bonanza.

The journey that brought me from Hawaii to that slice of Heaven had been long. It began when I was about 10. My Dad, returning from a business trip, presented me a river rock that he had snitched from the Sacramento River near where the first California gold had been discovered. He also gave me a small vial with a few flakes of gold that he had panned at a tourist stop. My eyes grew wide as saucers as I asked if it was real gold and how much the gold was worth. I don’t actually remember what exactly he had said but to my 10 year old mind, it was a fortune. It took a lot of convincing on his part to keep me from taking a hammer to the river rock so that I could pan out “all the goldâ€. From that day forward, I had a dream to someday prospecting my own gold… Unfortunately for me, I live in the only state in the US that has no gold so fulfilling my dream would not be easy.

Years passed…I got hitched, had a Daughter and started a business but I still had my treasured rock, my vial of gold flakes and my dream to prospect for gold. When my Daughter was about nine, we went on a family vacation to California. One of my “must do†stops was the Knott’s Berry Farm where my Dad had panned his gold. With my Daughter in tow, I bee-lined it to the panning booth and bought a pan full of pay dirt for each of us. She proudly displayed her vial of flakes to her Mom and that experience sure fueled my gold fever.

Some time later, while planning our first trip to Las Vegas, it dawned on me that Nevada had a rich history of mining and gold. I called a couple of Vegas prospecting shops to ask if there were any nearby streams where I could pan for gold. I was disappointed when he told me that Vegas was surrounded by desert and there were no streams for panning. One shop keep suggested metal detecting for gold nuggets which was a method that I had never heard of. He even knew of a fellow named Ray who had detectors for rent and would take me detecting. I made the arrangements and early the next morning Ray and I left for his spot in Arizona.

My hopes were high that I might finally find my first gold nugget and enjoyed every minute of that day. I dug a lot of targets, marveled at the beauty of the Arizona desert and rid the desert of an assortment of nails, bullet shells, rusty metal and even a paper clip. Though I had not got my nugget, I was hooked on metal detecting. I found the anticipation of finding something so rare to be exhilarating and the difficulty challenging.

After that trip, Ray and I went on a few more hunts together and he even found me a good deal on a used Minelab GP3000. I practiced often in my backyard using the bullets I had found or nuggets that I bought but I never was able to find a nugget of my own.

Metal detecing totally changed view of gold prospecting. I had previously envisioned myself sitting on a river rock swirling a gold pan. My vision was now modernized and electronic so I joined a few metal detecting forums. I visited those forums daily trying to absorb all the knowledge that was posted on those sites. I even posted a few newbie questions and was amazed at how friendly and helpful all the members were. No flames for dumb questions and tons of great tips.

While visiting nuggethunting.com, one of the metal detecting forums that I joined, I read about Moore Creek Mining Camp. Moore Creek, which is located in the Alaska interior and a couple of hundred miles Northwest of Anchorage, had once been a very productive placer gold mine. The mine had produced thousands of ounces of gold but had not been mined commercially in recent year. Steve Herschbach, one of the owners of the mine was taking reservations for a week’s stay at the remote mining camp. The guest would have the opportunity to prospect for gold at Moore Creek and get to keep what ever they found. Steve had hunted those tailing piles and had found unimaginable Alaskan nuggets with his metal detector and had even found good gold with a gold pan! It sounded like a nugget hunter’s paradise and a place where I just might find that first nugget.

After a few email messages, I had booked my trip. Alaska, “The Last Frontierâ€. I could hardly believe that I was actually going to see the great state of Alaska.

At last, my departure date finally arrived. My two 50lb suitcases were packed and ready to go. I had everything and then some packed within those two bags. First and foremost was my Minelab GP3000 and my brand new Coiltek Wallaby DD Pro that I recently had purchased from Rob Allison. Rob is the owner of nuggethunting.com, a forum that I regularly visited and sells Minelabs detectors and Coiltek coils. I was ready. Bring on those Moore Creek nuggets.

The flights to Moore Creek were very long and boring. I had flown on seven different planes, spent two nights waiting for too many hours in airport terminals. The morning we were scheduled to fly out of Anchorage, I finally got to meet the others in our group. The subject on everyone’s mind was gold nuggets and metal detectors as we all compared notes and anxiously looked at our watches waiting for the Pen Air flight to McGrath.

McGrath is a remote Alaskan village very much like Little Cicely from the TV show Northern Exposure and would be our last taste of the modern world. Mike, the very capable pilot/owner of Redline Air would be flying us from McGrath to our final destination, the camp at Moore Creek. That last leg on Redline was particularly interesting. We got to ride in a real Alaskan bush plane and the 20 minute, low level, tree-top flight over all of that untouched Alaskan expanse was inspiring.

Moore Creek finally came into view and we landed on an incredibly bumpy airstrip.

The airstrip was built of material that had come from the same tailing piles that we would be hunting later. We were later told that several nuggets had been found on the airstrip. Soon after getting off the plane, we were eagerly greeted by the Alaskan state bird, swarms of huge Mosquitoes.

After a short walk to the camp, a brief orientation and then lunch, it was off to the hunt. Everyone feverishly assembled their detectors and then headed off in every direction. As dinner time approached, one by one, my fellow nugget hunters returned to camp. A few had found nuggets but most, including myself had none. The discussion during dinner was the plan for the next day. Steve planned to escort the group down stream to the lower end of the camp where the majority of the old tailing piles were.

Being that we were in Alaska and it was summer, it would still be lighted outside until nearly midnight. But in anticipation of what our first full day hunting Moore Creek would bring, just about everyone hit the sack early.

We anxiously rushed through breakfast and packed up our essentials for the day’s hunt. The hike to the head of the trail was pretty easy going until we got our first beaver dam crossing. With valuable detectors in hand, we each carefully navigated the slippery crossing without baptizing a single detector. After that first crossing, it was up some hills, down a few ravines, across more beaver dams as Steve explained the history of the area or put names to surrounding features.

We eventually came to an area called Five Ounce Flat. It was called that partly due to the area being physically flat and the other part because they had found a five ounce nugget there. To ease crossing the last ravine that was between us and Five Ounce Flat, Steve said he would cut a trail. Some of our group chose to push on through the tangle of growth and started hunting Five Ounce Flat. Bob, Keith and I, hoping to avoid all the electronic interference associated with too many detectors running in close proximity, decided to start hunting the right where we stood.

I fired up the GP3000, ground balanced for a minute and started swinging my coil. Less than a minute after starting, I got a subtle signal at the base of a small spruce tree. I adjusted my headphones trying to seal out the roar of Steve’s chainsaw as I tried to maneuver my coil around the tree’s roots. Signal still there and sounding pretty good. As I withdrew my pick from its holder, I was hopeful it would not be another 22 shell. Scraping a few inches, trying not to damage the little Spruce trees roots, I dug into the Moore Creek soil. Passed my coil over the hole. Signal was still there but a bit louder now. Digging deeper, trying to avoid sinking my pick into where I thought the target to be, the hole grew bigger. Signal still there and even louder still. After a few more swipes with my pick, the target was out of the hole.

After digging up countless bits of iron, finding the target once it was out of the hole was second nature and I quickly had the target in my scoop along with a handful of soil. As I had asked myself many times before, “will this be a nugget?†I passed my magnet under my green plastic scoop waiting for the piece of wire to dance. No movement, maybe a bullet or shell casing then. Wait a minute, was that a bit of yellow I see peeking out from that lump of soil? I picked out the lump and brushed off the last of the Moore Creek mud…IT WAS GOLD! I stared in disbelief. I could not believe it. All that I could say was, “Well, I’ll be…I don’t believe it!†I must have said it louder than I thought because both Bob and Keith who were hunting nearby heard me with their headphones on. They both knew that I had never found a nugget before and came over to congratulate me. I was ecstatic…

That find that week had extra meaning to me. You see, Dad had passed away just a month prior to my trip to Moore Creek. I had so hoped to finally give the person who gave me my first gold, a gold nugget that I found. Unfortunately, I had missed getting to see the look on his face when I finally put a nugget in his hand. I’m hoping that he was watching and guiding me when I found it.

post-195-1221526347_thumb.jpg

post-195-1221526377_thumb.jpg