NEW 5000 pays for itself in 9 days

My first customer who purchased a GPX5000 has called me with glowing reports. The ground he works is extremely variable.

Most people do not know this man he is a professional prospector who has purchased his last 5 Minelab Pulse Induction detectors from me. Because of his amazing success he stays anonymous.

Any way he reported that it took him 9 days to pay off the new machine and it has a definite advantage over the previous machines.

First day out he was playing with it and went back to an old patch that he had gotten some really big gold out of. However he said the ground was always so noisy that big stuff was all he could ever hear. Working in FINE GOLD mode he pulled 17 nuggets out of this old patch the largest being 1.1 grams.

Then on the next day going over old ground he pulled a 5 ouncer at a measured 24 inches. He said so far, in 9 days, he has a little over 8 ounces of gold.

Sounds like a winner to me.

BCOT!

Doc

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks Doc, that post was just what i need to finish making up my mind on retiring my 3ooo glad i waited for the 5000. now to scrape up the cash. i just hate parting with any gold ive found but hey i can always find some more right?but seriously thats pretty impressive i think it took me over 2 yrs to pay for the 3000 but what fun it was. so far every thing ive heard on the 5000 has been very good, has any one heard any negative yet?

i agree with that i had years where i only found an ounce or less and ive also found an ounce in a day. as u say location,location,location, but i can only imagine now the amount of improvement from the 3000 to the 5000 :)

It's so nice when you have a location that pays the goods with a new model, there is nothing more empowering than finding out straight away your new detector is an improvement. I spoke with a guy last night who has done a similar thing, well and truly paying for his GPX 5000 in his first trip away (trip was about 3 weeks in length).

This is some of the gold I initially got off a patch this year, I found the gold at the end of the rainbow :blush:

P7260057-1.jpgP7290064-1.jpg

P7230025-1.jpg

It's so nice when you have a location that pays the goods with a new model, there is nothing more empowering than finding out straight away your new detector is an improvement. I spoke with a guy last night who has done a similar thing, well and truly paying for his GPX 5000 in his first trip away (trip was about 3 weeks in length).

This is some of the gold I initially got off a patch this year, I found the gold at the end of the rainbow :blush:

P7260057-1.jpgP7290064-1.jpg

P7230025-1.jpg

Yikes! Now that is impressive! Good going!

Guest GoldProspectinginOz

thanks Doc, that post was just what i need to finish making up my mind on retiring my 3ooo glad i waited for the 5000. now to scrape up the cash. i just hate parting with any gold ive found but hey i can always find some more right?but seriously thats pretty impressive i think it took me over 2 yrs to pay for the 3000 but what fun it was. so far every thing ive heard on the 5000 has been very good, has any one heard any negative yet?

A number of my forum members and some friends have both 4500's and 5000's and are comparing them in the field. Its still early days yet but the consensus at this stage from them seems to be that if one has a good 4500 then upgrading to a 5000 is not justified. Testing both detectors that the test site on medium to large nuggets with the same coils showed no difference in depth/sensitivity between both detectors and on some nuggets it was thought that the response of the 4500 was better! Comparing both detectors on undug nuggets that were from sub gram to grams has so far not resulted to my knowledge in any of my forum members or friends finding nuggets that could not be detected with the 4500 and one 5000 user thought that the responses on some undug nuggets was far better on the 4500!

One forum member has in fact posted that unless her 5000 can find nuggets that her 4500 cannot then she will be putting her 5000 on the market! The fine gold timing has also been found to be far more prone to false signals here particularly on some wet ground and over charcoal. In my opinion the 5000 is just a "debugged" 4500 but rather than call the new model a debugged 4500 ML have called it the 5000 and added some new software to the MC (new timings most of which will never be used here in Oz.)The fine gold timing also appears to be very critical of coil parameters and the only coils that you can be sure will work correctly with this timing are ML coils.Its also interesting to note that one of my forum members with a modified SD2000 is finding “nuggets” down to .09 gram over mineralized ground so you do not need the latest and greatest to find the really small stuff!

Just my thoughts,

all very the best

doug

http://australianelectronicgoldprospectingforum.com/index.php

• Admin

Hey Doc,

That is great news about the GPX5000's performance and the customer's success with it.

I have to say the same, all of my customers that have purchased GPX5000's, most were prior GPX4500 owners are finding more gold. A good friend that lives at Bagdad went back the first day and found a small handful of nuggets he missed with the GPX4500. A couple of customers in California are kicking butt and taking names, but are not posting (very understandable).

Without a doubt, the new GPX5000 is making a difference with the smoothness and extra timings. I've done very well with my GPX5000 with the very limited time I've been using it.

Talk with you later,

Rob Allison

Rob here's a picture of an 8 gram piece I found with the 5000 at 14 inches using Enhance with an 18" Monoloop, when I checked the signal with my 4500 the EMI and ground response masked the signal completely. Speaking to a local prospector here yesterday he was telling me about the ridiculous (his words) number of 5 to 10 gram nuggets that he has been getting at depth that amazed him due to the booming response in Fine Gold compared to Enhance, I suggested to him it was probably due to the "Fast Time Constant" nature of the nuggets that was pulling them up so loud, all were missed by his 4500 in Enhance. Unfortunately we have had 60 mm of rain this past week so muddy boots will be the order of the day for a while around here along with the traditional increase in ground noise that goes with it in the highly mineralised clayey areas.

JP

P9130122-1.jpg

Rob here's a picture of an 8 gram piece I found with the 5000 at 14 inches using Enhance with an 18" Monoloop, when I checked the signal with my 4500 the EMI and ground response masked the signal completely. Speaking to a local prospector here yesterday he was telling me about the ridiculous (his words) number of 5 to 10 gram nuggets that he has been getting at depth that amazed him due to the booming response in Fine Gold compared to Enhance, I suggested to him it was probably due to the "Fast Time Constant" nature of the nuggets that was pulling them up so loud, all were missed by his 4500 in Enhance. Unfortunately we have had 60 mm of rain this past week so muddy boots will be the order of the day for a while around here along with the traditional increase in ground noise that goes with it in the highly mineralised clayey areas.

JP

Most smaller nuggets (and some bigger ones as well)have fast Tc!!LOL!!!!! No big deal to detect them if you can sample very early (down too and under 10 u secs)

doug

Well We could have predicted what Dougs response would be. He says the same thing with every new Minelab release. Problem with his responses is that many of us know better and I for one know that each new Minelab PI has been an improvement over the previous model. There is no way in hell that I would take a step or 2 backwards and I always take the step forward. To those just beginning I would highly recomend A GPX 4000 or a GPX4500 as an economical alternative , but I've had my 4500 for several years now and I'm ready to move on. I'll pay for it quickly since I will sell my 4500 and make up the difference with a few ounces of gold before long. I KNOW that there will be some ground where it will be better, not on all ground , but there will come the time when one of the new timings will shine!!!!!. It has happened with every new Minelab PI I have ever bought. Each new one exploits another niche. And also, You don't have to use only Commander coils to get the benefits as we've learned from past experience. The aftermarkets are brilliant on all the Minelabs even though guys like Doug will try to tell you different.----Bob

Well We could have predicted what Dougs response would be. He says the same thing with every new Minelab release. Problem with his responses is that many of us know better and I for one know that each new Minelab PI has been an improvement over the previous model. There is no way in hell that I would take a step or 2 backwards and I always take the step forward. To those just beginning I would highly recomend A GPX 4000 or a GPX4500 as an economical alternative , but I've had my 4500 for several years now and I'm ready to move on. I'll pay for it quickly since I will sell my 4500 and make up the difference with a few ounces of gold before long. I KNOW that there will be some ground where it will be better, not on all ground , but there will come the time when one of the new timings will shine!!!!!. It has happened with every new Minelab PI I have ever bought. Each new one exploits another niche. And also, You don't have to use only Commander coils to get the benefits as we've learned from past experience. The aftermarkets are brilliant on all the Minelabs even though guys like Doug will try to tell you different.----Bob

"I for one know that each new Minelab PI has been an improvement over the previous model."

I of course don't agree with this eg was the 3000 an improvement on the extreme considering that if one looks inside some 3000's I have been told that the boards have extreme stamped on them!!!!!

The question is does the "improvement" in the 5000 warrant an upgrade if you have a good 4500?

The feed back from people on my forum who have compared the 4500 and the 5000 (on both undug nuggets and at the test site) and some others I know say,no at this stage. So far none of them yet have found an undug nugget that the 4500 could not detect and on some undug nuggets they thought the response on the 4500 was far better!

One member of my forum who has a 4500 (and found heaps of gold with it!)and a 5000 has said that unless the 5000 can find nuggets that the 4500 can't then the 5000 will be sold!Two of the new timings will probably never be used(salt and relic) and the fine gold timing can be very noisy over some ground and contrary to what you say the fine gold timing does appear to require coils wound with Litz wire (ML and NF) to give the best results.

If folk want to chase shallow fly dung sized gold then a VLF like the Whites GM with a DD or mono coil would be a cheaper and viable alternative.

I believe (as do some others on my forum) that the 5000 is just a debugged 4500 with some additional firmware (timings)added and probably some updated IC's and some changes in ergonomics .But its incredible that ML still have still done anything about muting the audio during switch on or when changing timings and the menu screen is still difficult to read under some light conditions or when dusty and the coil plug is still utter crap because the pins cannot be expanded when they wear which leads inevitably to noise!The extra timings and additional menu option are also proving a nightmare for the newbies. Newbies (and even some more experienced users)that have bought a 5000 feel incredibly frustrated at the plethora of options and trying to come to grips what are the best settings for any particular situation. Also like the previous gpx series the 5000 is overpriced and overcomplicated but even more so than its predecessors! And I won't even talk about the 4800 because I suspect few if any will be sold! What were ML thinking when they put this out!

ML are increasingly pricing themselves out of the market with each new and “improved” model especially now they have ceased production of the Sd series.

all the best,

doug

Wow Doug, A nightmare to use, Pins looseing contact over time .Oh and nothing different except a few timings.And your fix is....... Oh that is right not out yet, Well My 5000 is a dream, Those timings do pretty good, It is far from a nightmare to use, And i have never had my pin,s ware out, But then i do not use mine 20 hrs a day. Something that has not been mentioned is the very deep setting, My 11 inch coil acts like a 16 inch, there is a reason this is not mentioned, As with every new Minelab there are a few features that do not make the forums right out of the box. So Doug old boy, your fix is better i quess, is it for sale? Where can i get one, Because if it is better than what i have i want one.Only problem i ever had with Minelab was over the 4500, Since they are radicating that for me,and all the past detectors have been so good to me, I find it easier to call it a simple error ,Doug do you ever make simple error,s? Sometimes it is best to just move forward, insted of carting around all that past , Good luck with the cart mate, D Miller

The extra timings and additional menu option are also proving a nightmare for the newbies. Newbies (and even some more experienced users)that have bought a 5000 feel incredibly frustrated at the plethora of options and trying to come to grips what are the best settings for any particular situation. Also like the previous gpx series the 5000 is overpriced and overcomplicated but even more so than its predecessors! And I won't even talk about the 4800 because I suspect few if any will be sold! What were ML thinking when they put this out!

ML are increasingly pricing themselves out of the market with each new and improved model especially now they have ceased production of the Sd series.

all the best,

doug

doug,

I find many people are overwelmed or flustrated by new technology . . . The pros (most) though enjoy the flexability of the new system & take the time (many can't or won't) to learn how to use it . . . The pros were asking for these options & minelab gave them to you . . . Stop Whineing.

As for the price issue . . . . it was pointed out at a ML training session (in AZ) the price for a minelab has pretty much stayed the same . . . the OZ. of GOLD it took to buy the SD series (back in its day) versis the GPX 5000 (today), is approximatly the same. . . . . It's the world currency that is taken a dump.

The last ML I owned was a 3500 & at its time was a kick ass machine. Had to sell it to pay medical bills. I would buy the GPX 5000 in a heartbeat if medical issues were'nt a problem, because its the best machine out there !

Ya got your own forum to preach from, that not enough ? Is your ego that big ? Your bunch (forum members) tiring of your rants ? Need to find new converts ?

wonderer

If Nubbies are having problems it is most likely because they are trying to run before they learn to walk...I would bet most don't read their manual even once let alone two or more times...are they starting out with the basics as Minelab suggests or trying to drive like a racer...most problems are caused by impatience and lack of practice...not to mention the "Friend" that confuses the issue with too much information...learn to crawl, learn to toddle, learn to walk and then you can run with the Big Boys..

Every Minelab PI has been better in some ways than the previous one...whether the cost justifies the upgrade is a personal decision...

fred

doug,

Your bunch (forum members) tiring of your rants ? Need to find new converts ?

wonderer

My forum is going very well thank you. Nearly 3000 posts and 200,000 page views and 245 members in less then 3 months!

Sorry to hear about your medical problems, i hope they are resolved shortly.

all the best,

doug

Now wait a second Doug or Marshall or whatever your name is. When the 4500 came out you spent a great deal of time telling all of us how it was not worth buying. Now, it is a great detector, the best!

It is really bad form to post on someones forum to advertise your own. I have a forum, but I do not post links to it here. It is rude. If you want to advertise, pay Rob.

Steve Herschbach

Doug,

I have had every Minelab from and including the early model extreme and have never had the pins wear out or become loose.

My 4500 is from the very first batch in April 2008, and now has at least 2000 hours of use, chopping and changing coils. The pins are still as tight as a fish's backside.

It's pretty sad that the only people you ever listen to are your faceless cronies with pseudonyms on your forum. For a change, you should try listening to a few other successful prospectors, ones that have got the balls to put their names to their posts, and you might just learn something.

I for one have already found 2 nuggets in noisy ground in fine gold mode that no other mode could hear, nor could my very good 4500 ( yes Doug I have been doing head to head comparisons ).

There is no doubt that fine gold mode will find some nuggets that no previous machine can find.

Of course you won't have a bar of that, because sometime in the distant past I used to be a Minelab dealer, even though I have no trouble providing, on forums, constructive criticism to Minelab.

Once again Doug your rabid hatred of all things Minelab is showing through.

Cheers,

Rick

Archived