THE BEST DAY EVER - Minelab GPZ 7000

That is one FANTABULOUS NUGGET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ; and that should relight the fire for anyone who still has the FEVER, yet has been fighting the skunk. 

......"HEY ROB", (or Afriscot) I'm curious, if you wouldn't mind divulging the settings you where using on the GPZ-7000 when you heard that warble with this nugget????  ....What Ground Type setting, ...Sensitivity #, and ...Threshold # where you using????  I have a 7000, and (am still) trying to get used to what settings to use on it.  I jumped from a GP-3000 straight into this GPZ-7000 about 6-months ago, and using the right settings has been (thus far) a bit mind-boggling.     THANKS,   Gary

51 minutes ago, GDM/PV said:

That is one FANTABULOUS NUGGET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ; and that should relight the fire for anyone who still has the FEVER, yet has been fighting the skunk. 

......"HEY ROB", (or Afriscot) I'm curious, if you wouldn't mind divulging the settings you where using on the GPZ-7000 when you heard that warble with this nugget????  ....What Ground Type setting, ...Sensitivity #, and ...Threshold # where you using????  I have a 7000, and (am still) trying to get used to what settings to use on it.  I jumped from a GP-3000 straight into this GPZ-7000 about 6-months ago, and using the right settings has been (thus far) a bit mind-boggling.     THANKS,   Gary

Yes for sure.... let's hear more about settings and geology etc..... that's a monster to be proud of for sure.

The back story is my 5000 took a dump, (broke) and I bought a new one that rob got me Wednesday night. The next day I took it out and used factory settings. Those settings had the threshold too low for this nugget standing on its edge, the thinnest edge. So I missed it but had a feeling. So Saturday morning when Rob and got in the area I asked him to hit the area just to be sure. He did and the digging started. The rest is history. 

Rob will need to reply to settings.

on a side note that’s interesting is where the nugget was found. Not on the inside of the creek, but the outside, where there should really be limited gold. I know Rob was as baffled as me and commented before it was found that there shouldn’t be gold here. Maybe Rob will chime in and comment. The amazing thing is how something that heavy got it a crack vertically. The geology of the creek is hardrock bedrock with cracks in places. The creek had a chute that is two foot wide and where I had been finding the nuggets I posted last week. The big nugget was up out of the chute on an ancient bench, about two feet higher than the low spot. 

#showthevideorob.  Rob has better pictures so Ms. Bond, doubting Jennifer, can see how thick it was. I’d say close to 1/2” thick. 

• Like 2

haha... #showthevideorob haha

I'm not doubting, I know Rob and don't doubt it is the weight quoted, I was simply stating, it must be thick, I'd love to see it (and trust me, I've never said that to a guy before. D'OH!!!).

Thanks for the great info.....

Along the lines of "gold shouldn't be here'" this months ICMJ journal has a good article by Boulder Dash and Adam where Adam says the exact same thing... you never know where the gold will show up...well done guys... just goes to show, it's not the length, but the girth that matters. :P

Edited by jjbond

18 minutes ago, Afriscot said:

The back story is my 5000 took a dump, (broke) and I bought a new one that rob got me Wednesday night. The next day I took it out and used factory settings. Those settings had the threshold too low for this nugget standing on its edge, the thinnest edge.

Do you reckon you couldn't have found it with the 5000 if the threshold had been a bit higher? Do you feel that the 7000 was needed to find it or obviously you hit on it with the 5 so had it not taken a dump, was it a good enough signal you'd have continued digging / researching the break in threshold?

Jen

21 minutes ago, Afriscot said:

The back story is my 5000 took a dump, (broke) and I bought a new one that rob got me Wednesday night. The next day I took it out and used factory settings. Those settings had the threshold too low for this nugget standing on its edge, the thinnest edge. So I missed it but had a feeling. So Saturday morning when Rob and got in the area I asked him to hit the area just to be sure. He did and the digging started. The rest is history. 

on a side note that’s interesting is where the nugget was found. Not on the inside of the creek, but the outside, where there should really be limited gold. I know Rob was as baffled as me and commented before it was found that there shouldn’t be gold here. Maybe Rob will chime in and comment. The amazing thing is how something that heavy got it a crack vertically. The geology of the creek is hardrock bedrock with cracks in places. The creek had a chute that is two foot wide and where I had been finding the nuggets I posted last week. The big nugget was up out of the chute on an ancient bench, about two feet higher than the low spot. 

#showthevideorob.  Rob has better pictures so Ms. Bond, doubting Jennifer, can see how thick it was. I’d say close to 1/2” thick. 

That is curious !!!  But, was the big nugget (although being on a bench higher than the low spot) Upstream, or Downstream of where you had found the other nuggets in the chute ????  If it was upstream, maybe you found the source (or at least you may be close-to the source) of all those other nuggets in the chute ! ? !  Also, I have found a single nugget in a bedrock crack (more than once) that was actually higher than the wash itself.  When I did a complete search (over many days of returning and searching): 360 deg., upstream, downstream, up the hillside from the nugget, etc. I found Nothing else!!!  So, "maybe" the crevice where Rob found that nugget was it's source ???

• Admin

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the questions and comments.  I don't own the video, I should have taken one myself, but was more focused on digging the target which ended up being a large gold nugget.   

As for price for the nugget, I guess it always comes down to what someone will give you regardless what you think the value should be.  That being said, I doubt this nugget will ever leave our hands.  A nugget like this is rare, probably a couple thousand small ones for every large gold nugget found.  As the nuggets increase from an ounce, to several ounces, to half a pound and better, the price also increases due to the "rarety factor."  There are only so many nuggets this size, then the ones for sale.  You can buy 1/2 to 1 gram nuggets all day on Ebay and all over the Internet, but I doubt you will find many 1 pound + nugget, and if so, they are not selling for spot.  Realistically, I doubt we would have any issues selling this nugget to a Arizona gold nugget collector for double the spot value.  

As for settings and would the GPX of found it.  I highly doubt it, it was just a faint signal on the GPZ and the bedrock was actually really mineralized and caused the GPX fits in some spots.  I actually found the piece in High Yield and General, so I'm sure if I wanted to play around with settings I might have gotten a better response in Very Deep or a higher sensitivity.  

What I can tell you - I have been blessed by the Good Lord with great partners/friends in the gold business.  This has opened many doors of locations I would only wish to hunt with a detector.  I have accomplished a long time goal of finding a nugget that weighed a pound or greater in my lifetime.  I had a lot of doubts over the years that I would never have this opportunity, let along doing it with a great partner and friend.  This meant more than finding the gold, the fact someone else witnessed it and we shared the experienced and thought about nuggets like this being found over 100 years ago in the area.  

There is no doubt, large gold nuggets are out there, many much larger than this.  If you set goals, work hard, never give up and grind away, one day you will surprise yourself just like I did.  

A lot of pressure is now off me, but do I set a new goal of 2 Pounds? :ph34r:

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

That's amazing Rob, I'm really happy for you. This will go down in history as one of the monster Arizona nuggets like your other big one did for many of us.

What a great feeling to be able to share it with a friend, that's really the best part of the story. Congratulations and thanks for sharing it with all of us. The photos and videos will be marveled at for years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Afriscot said:

What the best part of this is.............you missed it, Rob found it...........and you two are still friends.  :)

As far as where it was? Its Arizona gold. It gets blown all over the place from the flash floods. As you well know. Ive found gold in fast chutes, outside bends, inside bends, drop zones, High, Low, .......no rhyme or reason to Arizona gold from what iv'e found so far. We don't know what was going on in the dinosaur days when gold was being formed.  Detect it all :)
Tom H.

• Like 2